Hard water in Italy

Apr 6, 2012
Puglia, Italy
I have a continual battle with scale as our water here is extremely hard, so every time I top up I am adding calcium. The more rain water we can get into the pool the better. I have been keeping the PH down to around 7.2 or 7.4 and was concerned that this was too low. I think I understand from this thread that it is ok to do this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Understanding the Scale Fight

I have a continual battle with scale as our water here is extremely hard, so every time I top up I am adding calcium. The more rain water we can get into the pool the better. I have been keeping the PH down to around 7.2 or 7.4 and was concerned that this was too low. I think I understand from this thread that it is ok to do this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Absolutely spot on with both plans- the rain water collecting & the lower end pH. Both will help you manage hard water better.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the confirmation I am safe to do these. It is not a case of collecting rainwater unfortunately, this isn't possible where the pool is sited, but when we get thunderstorms, and we get some good ones in the summer, it nicely fills the pool. As it is an infinity pool, and so intended to be full, I don't have to worry about it getting too full, and any extra just goes down into the holding tank for circulation. Calcium free, and PH neutral, all good for helping me keep things under control.

Would love to see a picture of this pool :)

Is this directed to me YippeeSkippy? I have posted pictures in the past - will try to find a link. I am likely to be posting pictures soon anyway, as there is some staining appearing that I would like advice on. I will start a new thread for that though.

Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem - Page 7

You can see photos of my previous fight with algae here. I am trying to upload updated photos to the thread but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.