Hard Water Deposits - SPA Clogged

Jul 26, 2015
San Diego, CA
My spa starting gushing water out of the air intake so I guessed there was a clog in the spa plumbing. Testing the spa jets revealed that several were not putting out much water. A scope reviewed the below showing flakes of hard water deposits stuck in the jets. I assume there is a lot more the camera isn't showing. Don't know where to start. How do I break up or clean out the jets?

-- Mark

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 12.34.10 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-03 at 12.35.58 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-03 at 12.33.15 PM.png

This a standalone spa or a spa connected to a pool?

The jets should unscrew.

How old is your pool/spa?

It was built in 2008. The exposed part of the "jets" are just friction fit nozzles pushed into PVC pipe.

What is shown in the above first set of pictures is looking inside the PVC. Its as if there is an open space behind the wall and another "real" valves is behind each of these.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 3.46.26 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-03 at 3.46.05 PM.png

I was wondering if you can find out from the builder what manifold and jets were used.

It looks like it should unscrew but those things take a proprietary removal tool from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I was able to remove the cap (friction fit into PVC) shown in first two pictures. Then I was able to unscrew the nozzles shown in next three pictures (ignore the spa cover hold down). I ran the spa jet circuit and all seemed to flow well as shown in 6th pictures.

So one of two problems fixed, water flowing equally through all lines.

Remaining problem is air intake is full of water. I sucked some out which dropped the level about 12 inches but from there it just kept backfilling. Also ran the spa jet circuit which didn't raise or lower level of water in the air intake (previously it caused it to back flow). So better since not overflowing but also still full of water. Note that I didn't have the nozzles back in when I ran the jet circuit but that would just restrict the flow.

-- Mark

IMG_1507.jpegIMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpegIMG_1509.jpegIMG_1508.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 11.43.59 AM.png

IMG_1503 (1).jpegIMG_1502 (1).jpeg

The air intake will fill with water up to the water level if you do not have a check valve or Hartford Loop by the spa to create an air gap.

When you run the blower it should blow the water out of the air line.