Hard Side Pool, J-hook liner, and foam -- is a 3" build-up needed?

adamswann

Jul 7, 2022
Lafayette, LA
I think the answer to this is "Yes" and I should just follow the instructions, but it would save me a bunch of time and money if it's not.

My hard-side, 21' x 54" pool arrived today, and I'm planning to self-install it. I would be happy to pay someone to do it, but I haven't been able to find anyone I'd trust with it, and I've seen a lot of horror stories about failed installs due to installers not really knowing what they're doing. So I'm stuck with a self-install.

Due to past issues with moles in the yard, I plan to put rigid foam underneath the pool. Locally, that foam is available in 1" thick R-5 4x8 sheets at around $30 per sheet. So $300-$400 for a 1-inch thick foam under my 21' diameter pool.

I'm doing a J-hook liner. The instructions clearly want 3" of sand plus the 4" high foam cove.

How should I handle this install?

- 1-inch foam on the ground, 2-inches of sand on top of the foam, then the gorilla pad? And hope the moles, if they return, won't go past the foam?
- 2-inches of sand on bottom, then 1-inch foam, then gorilla pad? (This is what I suspect I will do...)
- 1-inch of foam, then gorilla pad, no sand.... which would deviate from the instructions by 2".
- 2 layers of 1-inch foam... deviating from instructions, but only by 1".

My concern is that only having 1" of foam instead of 3" of sand as instructed will pull the wall down as it fills up, instead of stretching. (Sidenote: I'm in south Louisiana, so it's gonna be hot on the day I install the liner.)

Thanks!

Our last pool was an AGP and we used the Gorilla Pad. We had a bad experience with it. First, where the seams of the Gorilla Pad met, the weight of the water separated the seams. We could feel and see the seams. Also, we got water between the pad and liner, and our liner got wrinkles and seemed to float. If I ever did an AGP again, I would use sand for the floor and also the cove.

Reactions: adamswann
Thanks -- I considered that and may actually do it. Sooo.... maybe 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth like so?

Maybe running under the bottom track/plates and extending out 3 or 4" beyond the bottom track? It would be a disaster if a mole found its way between the mesh and the liner, so I think I'd want to make sure there's no openings.

Appreciate the help... I'm usually a pretty ambitious DIY'er, but spending the weekend clearing/levelling the base has me questioning my life choices. I'm worried a pesky mole is gonna bring the whole thing down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.