Hard plumbing - psi & vacuum hose diameter

KayCee

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Alabama
We just hard plumbed our above ground pool. The pressure/ suction is much higher now. The pump used to run between 5-10 psi. Now it is running closer to 15 psi. Is this normal/okay? When I vacuum the pool with our 1 1/4” diameter vacuum hose, it doesn’t seem to be pulling as well as I think it should. With the hard plumbing, should we switch to a 1 1/2” diameter vacuum hose?

Did you change the pump as well?

If not, then something is adding more head loss than what you had previously (i.e. plumbing is worse, not better). Can you post a picture of the plumbing layout?

Thanks for the response. We did not change the pump. We changed the skimmer, the sand in the filter and hard wired the plumbing. The suction is MUCH stronger with the hard plumbing. I was wondering if the suction was too strong for the 1 1/4" diameter hose. When vacuuming, the vacuum head will not stay on the bottom of the pool. We also got a new hose; and I accidently ordered one without the swivel. So, that may be the problem? or (with the stronger suction) do we need to be using a 1 1/2" diameter hose? I believe the increase in psi is normal when changing from hoses to hard plumbing?

A higher psi means more head loss in the return side of the plumbing. So something is restricting flow more than normal. Is the new filter smaller than the old or a different type of filter?

Normally when adding hard plumbing, pressure should drop.

I just found this post on another thread (making me think the diameter of my hose --1 1/4" -- is too small for the suction of the pump): Thoughts?

Today, 02:05 PM Back To Top #6
Zrock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Issue Vacuuming Pool - Filter Hose Collapsing In On Itself
You can vacuum to waste or in filter mode. First thing that comes to mind is a blockage in the vacuum or the hose. Next thing is possibly vacuum head is not compatible with your pump. meaning the inlet to the vacuum is too small for the suction of the pump. Lat but not least im sure is hose is old and the side walls are week.. Equipment list and some pics would be helpfull

Is your hose collapsing? Usually when the vacuum head does not stay on the ground, it means there is very little suction.

I think that when you hard plumb all of the plumbing, the relative flow rates and pressures generated depend a lot on the sand filter used.

Hard plumbing from pool to pump provides the potential for a much increased flow rate, while the same from filter to pool also provides the same. Like me, it appears you have a smaller sand filter. When I upgraded to hard plumbing, I also saw a slight increase in filter PSI (a 1hp matrix going into an S180T filter), but also noted improved flow from the return - I attribute this to increased flow, increased resistance from the filter, but on balance a better flow overall. In your case you have a 1.5hp pump going into a filter of similar size, which might result in a slightly higher increase in filter PSI going from regular pool hoses to PVC. I do not think this is anything to worry about.

On vacuuming, it sounds like the vacuum hose is collapsing in on itself, and it might be time to invest in a higher quality hose - or by not having the swivel connector is causing a kink right at the head. What kind of vacuum head are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.