NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hopefully this is an ok Coffee Bar topic, I ordered my first handgun and safety is totally paramount for me. I need to buy a nightstand safe that is high quality and would reliably open in an emergency (God forbid that ever happened). Any suggestions from experienced users? I am thinking of a Vaultek VE20. Been reading reviews but I wanted to see if anyone here has any thoughts or actual experience.

Last edited:
I have this under the bed and it has worked great for the past 5+ years. I can get it open in under 10 seconds if needed. The only maintenance I have done is to change the batteries every 1-2 years since opening it via key is a bit of a pita.

Since you said you are new to firearms, here are some additional tidbits:
- Even if you are not required to have a license to carry, go ahead and get your license. The class requirements vary by state, but my class was all day and focused on the various laws and do's and don'ts. There was also a range component as well which is always good to practice.
- Make sure you practice. Gun ranges are pricy and classes are even more, but I would recommend taking a class or at least going to the range once a year.
- If this is for home defense, get hollow point bullets. Like many things related to guns, it has a scary name, but that is the only way to go for home defense. The advantage is 2 fold:
  • Hollow points start to break apart as soon as they hit something, so the bullet will not travel through as many walls, and will likely be contained in your residence. Your neighbors will greatly appreciate that.
  • The 2nd advantage is that the majority of the energy of the bullet will be absorbed by whatever it hits first. That means if you unfortunately have to shoot at someone, they will take the bulk of the energy and it will likely knock them down. Non-hollowpoints can easily pass through someone, and they might not even know they have been hit.

Last edited:
I don't know New Jersey's rules, but these meet California's rather strict regulations for firearms safety devices:

Home Security - V-Line

Lots of models -- compact and full-size, slide-out or clamshell, top mounting or bottom mounting, etc, etc. No batteries required, no keys required. Quiet opening, and easily opened in the dark with one hand. Made in the USA.

Note that these are for protecting firearms from kids and others (and vice-versa), while allowing you quick access if you need it. They aren't intended to stop a determined thief who knows where you keep your pistol.

Last edited:
I will second getting training. The concealed carry class in my state requires 4 hours of class on safety and 4 hours on the law. It is very eye-opening.

If you are lucky like me and own 15 acres in the woods, getting practice is easy...although expensive.

I have this under the bed and it has worked great for the past 5+ years. I can get it open in under 10 seconds if needed. The only maintenance I have done is to change the batteries every 1-2 years since opening it via key is a bit of a pita.

Since you said you are new to firearms, here are some additional tidbits:
- Even if you are not required to have a license to carry, go ahead and get your license. The class requirements vary by state, but my class was all day and focused on the various laws and do's and don'ts. There was also a range component as well which is always good to practice.
- Make sure you practice. Gun ranges are pricy and classes are even more, but I would recommend taking a class or at least going to the range once a year.
- If this is for home defense, get hollow point bullets. Like many things related to guns, it has a scary name, but that is the only way to go for home defense. The advantage is 2 fold:
  • Hollow points start to break apart as soon as they hit something, so the bullet will not travel through as many walls, and will likely be contained in your residence. Your neighbors will greatly appreciate that.
  • The 2nd advantage is that the majority of the energy of the bullet will be absorbed by whatever it hits first. That means if you unfortunately have to shoot at someone, they will take the bulk of the energy and it will likely knock them down. Non-hollowpoints can easily pass through someone, and they might not even know they have been hit.
I second everything said by @JJ_Tex with regard to practice and training. I had my spouse do training as well and also both of us went to shooting range for practice after the initiial training. I was only one that did license to carry training and found it invaluable on the laws and what all the signs mean that are hung on store doors. Now some of it was a sales pitch to purchase insurance which I did not do. There is also a range portion that was straightforward, especially if you have done prior shooting range practice.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Absolutely, I took a basic handgun safety class which included live fire. I joined a tactical range where I live. Waiting to start taking additional classes because you need your own firearm after the basic class. I purchased my 1000 rd ammo already stored in ammo case (124 gr FMJ) as training classes require 300-500 rounds. Hollow points in NJ are tricky, you can have in your home or at range but you cannot carry with them so its unclear if you could ever even use them in a home defense situation. Yes beginning training for CCW as soon as I get my firearm which will take a likely a week to two to arrive, become NJ compliant (10 rd mag alterations) and then train train train.

Reactions: Newdude
I have one similar to the one JJ linked, the whole battery/key pad deal went out after the 2nd battery replacement so now I just use the key.
Not completely sure exactly what you want as far as use goes but you mentioned quick accessibility & safety. I assume you mean from kids who shouldn’t have access. I personally gave up super quick access to have it more deeply concealed in my home, up & out of reach of my children. They do not know where it is stored & have never seen me access it or the key. It is not in a location that they or their friends should ever accidentally stumble upon. The handguns are primarily for personal protection when we are not at home.
I have a separate large locking cabinet that contains multiple rifles, shotguns etc that is key only & every thing in it stays unloaded with ammo in a separate yet quickly accessible to me place nearby. It is not in plain sight in my home like one of those giant safes. I feel fairly confident that with the other security layers I have in place I would have time to access either type of weapon quickly enough. I don’t currently have nightstands with drawers but I have considered purchasing some that have a sliding top with a hidden area for concealing a small clamshell safe. I think I would go with a supplemental lock if it were in a drawer or somewhere down low with easy access.
The little handgun safe is supposed to have a good fire rating, the larger cabinet (which is basically a locker)- not so much.
I have homeowners ins. which covers them so I am not super concerned with fire or theft aside from deterrence. Every policy is different so ymmv.
My children are educated about firearms so their presence & function isn’t a secret, they are just not stored in places that might incite curiosity by them, their friends or any visitors to our home. As the years have gone by our needs & collection have changed. As my kids get older & have aquired their own shotguns & rifles I have considered adding a keypad to a closet to store everything in. We are limited by the existing spaces in our home, as are most people, so it can take some creativity to meet all your storage goals - safety, accessibility, yet out of sight.
I have also used the little clamshell safe I have multiple times when traveling especially through states that don’t reciprocate with my permit. I always double check the laws of the states I plan to travel through as things are always changing. The Vaultek one looks to be a little better quality than mine. Keep in mind, they are quite heavy for being so compact.

I have one similar to the one JJ linked, the whole battery/key pad deal went out after the 2nd battery replacement so now I just use the key.
Not completely sure exactly what you want as far as use goes but you mentioned quick accessibility & safety. I assume you mean from kids who shouldn’t have access. I personally gave up super quick access to have it more deeply concealed in my home, up & out of reach of my children. They do not know where it is stored & have never seen me access it or the key. It is not in a location that they or their friends should ever accidentally stumble upon. The handguns are primarily for personal protection when we are not at home.
I have a separate large locking cabinet that contains multiple rifles, shotguns etc that is key only & every thing in it stays unloaded with ammo in a separate yet quickly accessible to me place nearby. It is not in plain sight in my home like one of those giant safes. I feel fairly confident that with the other security layers I have in place I would have time to access either type of weapon quickly enough. I don’t currently have nightstands with drawers but I have considered purchasing some that have a sliding top with a hidden area for concealing a small clamshell safe. I think I would go with a supplemental lock if it were in a drawer or somewhere down low with easy access.
The little handgun safe is supposed to have a good fire rating, the larger cabinet (which is basically a locker)- not so much.
I have homeowners ins. which covers them so I am not super concerned with fire or theft aside from deterrence. Every policy is different so ymmv.
My children are educated about firearms so their presence & function isn’t a secret, they are just not stored in places that might incite curiosity by them, their friends or any visitors to our home. As the years have gone by our needs & collection have changed. As my kids get older & have aquired their own shotguns & rifles I have considered adding a keypad to a closet to store everything in. We are limited by the existing spaces in our home, as are most people, so it can take some creativity to meet all your storage goals - safety, accessibility, yet out of sight.
I have also used the little clamshell safe I have multiple times when traveling especially through states that don’t reciprocate with my permit. I always double check the laws of the states I plan to travel through as things are always changing. The Vaultek one looks to be a little better quality than mine. Keep in mind, they are quite heavy for being so compact.
Yes I will have bolted to my nightstand and then a quick 4 digit combo to open, insert mag and rack if someone is breaking into my home along with flashlight to identify who triggered alarm. Plan in place with kids if alarm goes off they move right to our room which is the best defended spot. 15 and 13 year old and actually practiced it once by mistake as the alarm went off and they moved quickly to our room. Cameras on exterior plus two IP cameras in house that show the stairs coming up so in the event someone doesn't come up immediately we would be able to see on phone app (like 5 seconds) if anyone event tries to come up the stairs. Better to be prepared and never to need it than to not be prepared and need it.

Let's see if I can do this without closing the thread officially.

I, (and many, many others) am not really interested in this firearms discussion. If we were, we would go to the forums where that is a major topic.

I, (and many, many others) am very interested in the TFP method of pool care.

Please give it a rest and go to the appropriate website for that topic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let's see if I can do this without closing the thread officially.

I, (and many, many others) am not really interested in this firearms discussion. If we were, we would go to the forums where that is a major topic.

I, (and many, many others) am very interested in the TFP method of pool care.

Please give it a rest and go to the appropriate website for that topic

Is it not a "non pool related topic?" Where is the line drawn? There are lots of car forums but i suspect a car thread here would be perfectly fine.
Screenshot_20220914-170351_Chrome.jpg

Sunny,

Not trying to put words into Dave's mouth, but we are all just holding our breath waiting for this discussion to go sideways. It is a very politically sensitive topic, unlike cars.. You can read between the lines in some of the posts already, and all it takes is one idiot to start a fire.

It is much easier to prevent a fire than it is to put it out later.

Case in point, would you have even made your post if this thread was all about the battle between Ford and Chevy? I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sunny,

Not trying to put words into Dave's mouth, but we are all just holding our breath waiting for this discussion to go sideways. It is a very politically sensitive topic, unlike cars.. You can read between the lines in some of the posts already, and all it takes is one idiot to start a fire.

It is much easier to prevent a fire than it is to put it out later.

Case in point, would you have even made your post if this thread was all about the battle between Ford and Chevy? I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was mainly wondering why he said the forum is for TFP methods and to go to another forum for this other topic. When this very sub forum is for non pool related topics. It'd be less confusing to simply say some topics are forbidden so we know non pool threads are indeed allowed.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.