H100 natural gas clunking sound

Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys

Heater was brand new last season and not used too much. The last couple time it ran I heard a clunking sound which after some research seem to be steam buildup so I shut it down until I could remedy the problem. Online research did not yield too many good articles on how to take apart and what to look for

I have a constant 12 psi reading at the filter and the flow seems to not have changed at all so I am reaching out to you guys. Any ideas??

Thanks

Tom

This may sound like a stupid question, but was the pump on and water flowing when you heard the clunking sound? If its hot then water-starved, it will clunk. Took me a few times to realize that you're supposed to turn heater off about 20 min. To cool dwn prior to a backwash, or other pump shut downfor example ;)

Here is how I test water flow. I find the return line closest to the pump and if I can put my hand over it and block water flow without the force of the water pushing my hand out of the way, not enough water flow. One other way is to either remove the filter cartridge if you have that type of filter or bypass the filter and see how the heater works. If it is a multi speed pump, is the pump on the correct speed.

Thanks for the tips guys. Positive it was while the pump was running. I will double check my hand at the return. I only have one and I am pretty sure it was good. I will back wash again to see if that helps and report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.