Gunite Spa Leak

josh1014

Mar 9, 2019
Maryland
Looking for suggestions. I had previously posted last off-season about a spa leak that, with TFPs help, we determined by dye test to be the spa light conduit. See attached photo from last year to help illustrate.

Anyway, I’m currently leaking again at a rate of 1/2” per day.

I’ve run a number of experiments thus far:

1) When the water level is below the light, it doesn’t leak

2) When the water level is just above the light, or just below the 10 returns, it doesn’t leak.

3) When the water is above the returns (with all returns plugged), it leaks 1/2” per day

4) I pulled out the return plugs with the water level below it and there was no water in any of the pipes. My PB did one better and pressure tested the returns and the floor drain pipes, and they all passed.

5) PB pulled out the light and there was no significant water behind it.

Therefore, the conclusion was if it only leaks when above the returns, and the return pipes themselves are dry and pass a pressure test, the leak must be occurring from water leaking around at least one of the return pipes.

He and I inspected them all and there is no obvious plaster defect or any clues. He would like to come back and chip out around each pipe until he finds the bad one, and then patch up with new plaster. I’m concerned this will look hideous but he feels he can keep the chipping and plaster patching contained to what will be covered by the plastic return eyeball.

The logic seems to hold that we are on the right track, but I wish I had an idea of how to find the culprit return before we do anything destructive. Any idea how I can effectively seal not only the return pipe but the immediate surrounding plaster area so I can rule out each return one at a time? Or any other suggestion? Appreciate the community’s help as always!

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I wasn’t home for that part so not sure exactly what he did, but before he got there I lowered the water level to below the jets, immediately pulled the rubber plugs and turned on the air blower and no water came out of any of them. That alone seems definitive.

Oh I should also clarify that the 10 jets are actually 5 connected to my main pump which also circulates my pool and 5 connected to a booster pump. The air blower has 2 lines, one to connect to main pump spa return, and one to connect to the booster pump return, and a manual valve so I can isolate and only send air down one line, the other, or both. So I’m guessing he used that valve to cut the air blower out of the system so he could pressure test.

Assuming he did the pressure testing correctly, and the fact that the leak stops below the return level, the leak is at that level so most likely either between the pipe and gunite or the fitting within the gunite. Neither is an easy fix.

Another test you could do just to confirm, is plug all the jet returns and see if the leak still exists or not above the returns.

They’ve been plugged the whole time aside from when I did that test described above to confirm there was no water in them. It leaks with all 10 jets plugged. Do you have any idea how I can help him identify which one(s) are the problem? I’m imagining attaching some sort of a gasket or something to my rubber plug, or something else all-in-one I can buy to sit tight enough on the plaster around the jet (without damaging the plaster) to stop or at least slow the leak enough that I can identify it.

Have you visually inspected each port without the external fittings to observe any cracks between the pipe and the gunite/plaster?

If you drain the spa, a foot or so below the returns, I would expect the water than leaked out of the spa would start to flow back into the spa and may leave a visible trail.

I had a crack in my spa plaster and when I drained the spa, the crack stayed wet much longer than the rest of the spa surface so I knew right away, where the crack was.

I thought about that too, certainly no dripping or anything that obvious. Unfortunately the weather is too cold now for the walls to dry where I might be able to notice one area staying wet longer than the others. Maybe I’ll try to shoot some dye tomorrow in front of each jet.

Reactions: mas985

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.