gunite pool on recently purchased home- Resurface Options?

Re: gunite pool on recently purchased home- Resurface Options?

I don't like it on my feet, worse on elbows and knees (while playing with the kids). I bought it for longevity. It's not awful, I don't get sore feet or anything like that. But's nowhere near as nice feeling as my plaster was. It doesn't look any different from plaster from the house. It has an interesting looking texture to it on a still day, when standing above it, but that's not better or worse to me than plaster. Just interesting. No difference when the pool is stirred up by kids or wind. It just looks like a color. But I didn't opt for any fancy contrasting pebbles or sparkles or whatever. Just a plain solid-ish color.

that's exactly what I wanna do. buy for longevity and ease of maintenance. that combined with all of the automatic ph and chlorinators, plus how little I have to even touch my pool chemicals in general, my goal is to get it down to just brushing or even no brushing somehow. I just wanna flip the pump switch on and off lol. I even am gonna buy a WiFi switch for that soon because I keep forgetting to turn it on before I leave to work sometimes

Well, you've been talkin' to the right guy. I'm nearly there. I only have brushing to solve, and I have an idea for that, too. ;)

what's your idea and what's the best practice for brushing? I stand outside of the pool, and then one day I told myself, why don't you just go in the pool and brush it lol

yay, and to top it all off, literally, it's pouring out right now and my winter cover hasn't came in the mail yet. more water to go through the leak into the area around the pool yay!

Oh, that's adorable. Look everybody, he thinks he'll be done at some point!! ;) People like you and me will never be done, especially with our pools!! And we love it!!!

Pool brushing idea? See post #22. Or I have to invent it! I don't want a robot, but I want that automatic brushing, up the walls and everything. So there needs to exist a $200 brushing-only robot. Rechargeable battery powered. Significantly simpler than a vacuuming robot. Just something to run around the pool and brush it. Throw it in once a week. A couple hours later its timer goes off and it's just sitting on the bottom. You come back whenever and haul it out, put it back on the charger. Half the weight of a robot vac. No bag to clean. Pretty sure robots need suction for them to do what they do, but that's not my problem. I'm the idea man, the engineer can figure out how to get it to work!! And how to get it out of the pool!

Copyright © 2018 Dirk Enterprises. All right reserved.

I am extremely sold on the rebel suction... definitely not getting rid of my vacuum suction! it combines a suction line, with a leaf catcher, and eliminates the me part lol. that's amazing! so that gets rid of vacuuming. k wonder if they could make that same machine into an automatic brusher by switching it from suction to plugging it into a jet. using the water flow to turn the brushes. how hard could that be to engineer?

I actually think I'd rather have the kreepy. pressure seems better than suction. I have two returns and a suction. how would I renovate my system to make sure a keeper gets proper pressure? do I have to have a valve system to allow per return side shut off to only have one running for the cleaner, or make the decision to convert my suction into a pressure combined with a new valve to disable the returns, or just one, while its running?

- - - Updated - - -

what's the impact on plaster/other surfaces from pressure side cleaners also?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Sorry, it's late and I can't make out your last post.

I'm exploring the dangers and safeguards of a suction port in another thread.

Pressure vacs need a booster pump, and have that stupid tail that trashed my windows. I wanted to eliminate both. So...

I had my pressure line converted to a suction line, so that is possible if the pipe allows it. Mine did. Just some simple replumbing at the pad.

I doubt either system can provide enough power via water flow to both vacuum and brush, otherwise, someone would have built it by now. They can barely vacuum. Robots are very heavy, and have on-board motors. Power via electricity. A pressure/suction vac cannot compete on cleaning ability.

I actually think I'd rather have the kreepy. pressure seems better than suction. I have two returns and a suction. how would I renovate my system to make sure a keeper gets proper pressure? do I have to have a valve system to allow per return side shut off to only have one running for the cleaner, or make the decision to convert my suction into a pressure combined with a new valve to disable the returns, or just one, while its running?

- - - Updated - - -

what's the impact on plaster/other surfaces from pressure side cleaners also?

The Kreepy's are suction vacs (they may make a pressure side cleaner though, I'm not sure).

Sorry, it's late and I can't make out your last post.

I'm exploring the dangers and safeguards of a suction port in another thread.

Pressure vacs need a booster pump, and have that stupid tail that trashed my windows. I wanted to eliminate both. So...

I had my pressure line converted to a suction line, so that is possible if the pipe allows it. Mine did. Just some simple replumbing at the pad.

I doubt either system can provide enough power via water flow to both vacuum and brush, otherwise, someone would have built it by now. They can barely vacuum. Robots are very heavy, and have on-board motors. Power via electricity. A pressure/suction vac cannot compete on cleaning ability.

so you're saying pressure/suction vacs can't compete with robots, and consequently you're giving up the ease of suction/pressure equipment for better cleaning with a robot?

- - - Updated - - -

The Kreepy's are suction vacs (they may make a pressure side cleaner though, I'm not sure).

that's true and what I was looking at. I'm really interested in the kreept krauly racer pressure side cleaner. plus, if I convert my suction into a pressure, I gain a return. that way, if I ever want to or have to upgrade the pump, I could possibly get a more powerful pump. unless one skimmer and one main drain wouldn't supply enough water for 3 returns. I'm not sure how to calculate all of that.

btw dirk, I found a big gunite pool guiding restoration company in Michigan that does everything. I called them and am awaiting the next phone call to schedule a free estimate. their site says they're a certified pebble tec applicator. which gives me at least one option other than plaster. the second guy, coming to give me a quote sometime soon as well, deals with hydrazzo he said. I'm not sure if he's certified or not, but that brings me up to three finishes. marcite, pebbletec, and hydrazzo. no worries on the replies either man. I appreciate the help whenever it shows up! apparently these people offer diamond bright and hydrazzo as well as quartz. I'm eager to get a quote from these guys to see how much all of the work is so I can start saving up the rest of the money by February March when the weather breaks.

Michigan Inground Pool Resurfacing | gunitepoolrestoration.com

so you're saying pressure/suction vacs can't compete with robots, and consequently you're giving up the ease of suction/pressure equipment for better cleaning with a robot?

- - - Updated - - -

that's true and what I was looking at. I'm really interested in the kreept krauly racer pressure side cleaner. plus, if I convert my suction into a pressure, I gain a return. that way, if I ever want to or have to upgrade the pump, I could possibly get a more powerful pump. unless one skimmer and one main drain wouldn't supply enough water for 3 returns. I'm not sure how to calculate all of that.

btw dirk, I found a big gunite pool guiding restoration company in Michigan that does everything. I called them and am awaiting the next phone call to schedule a free estimate. their site says they're a certified pebble tec applicator. which gives me at least one option other than plaster. the second guy, coming to give me a quote sometime soon as well, deals with hydrazzo he said. I'm not sure if he's certified or not, but that brings me up to three finishes. marcite, pebbletec, and hydrazzo. no worries on the replies either man. I appreciate the help whenever it shows up! apparently these people offer diamond bright and hydrazzo as well as quartz. I'm eager to get a quote from these guys to see how much all of the work is so I can start saving up the rest of the money by February March when the weather breaks.

Michigan Inground Pool Resurfacing | gunitepoolrestoration.com

Look into the Pebble tec Pebble fina. Smooth almost like plaster, with longevity of pebble. And cheaper.

just checked out your build dirk. that's a very beautiful pool and everything you have going there!! really like that light. judging by the ac unit hooked up to your pad, you live somewhere in the west I take it lol? my buddies pool hit 94 degrees for a week here this summer. sucked. unswimmable basically

Look into the Pebble tec Pebble fina. Smooth almost like plaster, with longevity of pebble. And cheaper.

I posted a thread just about resurfacing originally, and I think someone mentioned pebble tec pebble fina or I saw it on their website! when this place gets a hold of me, I'm gonna see how much for pebblefina. thank you!

I'm assuming pebble surfaces last as long as they do because there's much less plaster exposed to get ruined by water chemistry and pebbles pretty much don't ever go back due to their nature? gonna look into pebble tec. I like cheaper. if I can reduce my 8k plaster quote to around 5 or 6 compared to the other guys, that'll allow me to get maybe 3 things done instead of 2 next February. my goal is deck, coping, tile, and while the deck is ripped up, renovate the plumbing from the skimmer, vacuum, and both returns all the way to all the plumbing on the pad. I think I'm gonna stick with black poly though since it means I won't have to mess with any in let's in the pool structure. plus the clamps and everything will be new, so a new plumbing transition will be a lot smoother. also reducing the amount of fittings etc. maybe they even have new clamp technology and liquids or goos to put over the clamps so they don't oxidize.

I'm assuming pebble surfaces last as long as they do because there's much less plaster exposed to get ruined by water chemistry and pebbles pretty much don't ever go back due to their nature?

I believe it's that the pebble tec finishes (including pebble fina) use silica or quartz instead of marble/marcite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.