Gunite pool floated up

crafty33 said:
mcaswell said:
Amazing... you need to spread the word about this company (in a good way, I mean). Though this could certainly be seen as a strike against him (after all, presumably it was his fault and shouldn't have happened at all), I would look at the complete opposite... that a builder consistently does good work is near the top of the list of priorities, but equally as important is how he responds when something DOES happen to go wrong.

What I wouldn't give for my builder to posses that kind of ethic.

--Michael

I give them cudos for replacing it but not in the way they did it. Going on 17 weeks now, this repair project started in Feb. And they just pushed back fixing the skimmer that they hooked up to a line that goes nowhere. They have canceled many days, never showed up, come several hours after the said they were coming, had to keep calling to find out when they were coming next, crew show up and asked my wife waht they were supossed to do, then had to come back again because they did not do what they were suppossed to do. Didnt even know a plaster crew had not come on a saturday till I called on Tuesday (monday was a holiday) to find out when they were coming. They were like what do you mean they did it on Sat. I could go on and on.

Talk about 17 weeks of stress. Not worth it to me. They are fixing their mistake but taking their sweet time. So, I have never mention the companies name and never will because I will not endorse them nor give them a bad name.

Ah, I guess there's always more to the story. But as a demonstration of how screwed-up my perception of contractors is (thanks to the troubles I'm encountering), these guys still don't sound all that bad. ;)

--Michael

I had the same problem with my pool. The deep end floated over the shallow, and I ended up with a 5" rise deep over shallow. It looked awful. I drilled three 3" holes in the bottom of the pool, and the pool settled only marginally. I have very thick clay in my area, combined with a high water table. We ended up removing the coping, drilling into the gunite and epoxying 1/2" rebar every 12". Then we did an 8" saddle pour of self-leveling sand-based concrete to level the top of the pool. We ended up with a perimeter overflow pool, which was not in the original plans, but a very pleasant outcome to what promised to be a very tragic situation. We are still in the process of adding plumbing and resurfacing the pool, so I don't know how the long-term viability of this option will be, but it is very esthetically pleasing compared to what was existing.

Update on this. My last post on this back in the summer was pretty negative, which I believe I had the right to be upset at the time. Overall I am happy with the end results of our new pool and we enjoyed using it this summer. Looking back I still feel that I had to do too much to get to this point but I do understand the company built me a brand new $40,000 pool and that they still had other projects to complete. I am very grateful this company took responsibility and did what was right. They did me right, just a little too slow for me. I would use them again, not sure they would want to keep me as a customer :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.