Gunite pitting

OfficeReefer

Jul 27, 2021
Argyle, TX
TFP,

I had a JVA issue in the past month that has been remediated but since doing this, I have noticed a sand like substance in the bottom of my spa. Additionally, we found lots of rough surfaces where the gunite chipped or eroded away. I am presuming this was the cause of having to dump large volumes of warm water in the spa when freeze protection was about to ruin my pump.

Anyone have an issue like this?

Can the spa be drained and the area repaired or it is time for a full resurface?

Gunite, or plaster? Plaster pitting is not uncommon and your surface can go a long time even with significant pitting. I have it on several spots in my pool. My neighbor's plaster pool is 20 years old with the original plaster and it is pitted all over. Doesn't seem to effect anything but visually.

You may be describing plaster spalling where ice freezes on the plaster surface abd breaks it up.

Show us pictures of the rough surface areas.

TFP,

I had a JVA issue in the past month that has been remediated but since doing this, I have noticed a sand like substance in the bottom of my spa. Additionally, we found lots of rough surfaces where the gunite chipped or eroded away. I am presuming this was the cause of having to dump large volumes of warm water in the spa when freeze protection was about to ruin my pump.

Anyone have an issue like this?

Can the spa be drained and the area repaired or it is time for a full resurface?
For reference, gunite is the structural concrete layer of your pool that isn’t waterproof. A layer of plaster is applied on the inside of the shell which provides the waterproofing and color. If the plaster is worn down to the gunite, it needs to be repaired/resurfaced, but if just a thin portion of plaster has come off, it’s just an aesthetic issue (for now).

I am presuming this was the cause of having to dump large volumes of warm water in the spa when freeze protection was about to ruin my pump.
Tell us more about this.
Why were you having to dump warm water in your spa, when in spa mode the water should be coming from the drain and safe from freezing even if you have some surface ice.
What was the issue with your pump? Was there a frozen pipe or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.