Grout consensus

pcollins22

Aug 7, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
Hi all,

I am approaching the waterline tile and coping step in my build and my head is spinning in regards to what to make of the choices for grout as well as waterproofing products, what needs it/what doesn’t, etc.

I read some of the fantastic posts and replies from @bdavis466 even dating back to 2019, but I’ve come away with more questions than answers.

1 - is epoxy grout worth the expense and applicator hassle (read: finding someone that not only will do it, but will do it well)?
2 - is it even possible to find someone who can do this well? It seems this still isn’t remotely mainstream…

Of note: I’ll be using 2x6” porcelain waterline tile which continues up the spillways of an elevated spa, flanked by ledger stone on the spa surround, and tumbled limestone pavers for pool and spa coping.

I’m at the point of being content paying someone to do quality work and have it done the “right way”, but it seems I’m going to have to babysit every step of this work to ensure the right products are being used, in the correct order, etc.

Am I way overthinking this!?

Not at all, its your pool...epoxy grout has been around a long time and finding an installer shouldn't be that difficult.

The majority of pool owners don't know or care how the pool is built. The contractors just want the job to be completed to get paid and move onto the next. Its pretty rare to have a customer interested in the best installation practices and materials but also willing to pay extra for it. Cheap and quality do not coincide (materials and labor), especially when it involves a luxury item like a pool.

Last edited: