Grotto height?

Dallas area? Don't worry, you'll be back to 80 deg in no time! :) You keep the pool open year round, right?

It is coming along... not real happy about some of the ways the PB built things... and I raised all these points before the build ever started... 1) The dropped ledge should have been wider at the cave edge so rocks could have overhung the cave sides more... 2) The cave walls should have been slanted so the opening was narrower not wider... makes it harder to hide the walls inside... 3) The top edge of the cave front is going to be hard to make blend in... oh well... what do I know...

jtech1 said:
Dallas area? Don't worry, you'll be back to 80 deg in no time! :) You keep the pool open year round, right?

It is coming along... not real happy about some of the ways the PB built things... and I raised all these points before the build ever started... 1) The dropped ledge should have been wider at the cave edge so rocks could have overhung the cave sides more... 2) The cave walls should have been slanted so the opening was narrower not wider... makes it harder to hide the walls inside... 3) The top edge of the cave front is going to be hard to make blend in... oh well... what do I know...

Yes, on not closing the pool.. I paid too much for it to cover it up! LOL!

Yeah, I see what you mean with the opening of the cave... It's a real shame you sometimes don't get what you ask for when you take the time to be so specific. That is just wrong. :(

imrodee, instead of just piling rocks on our cave, we are trying to find some large stone slabs like you have on your cave to put on top. This is how teh picture we gave our PB months ago looks... flats stone that water flows over and a sheet coming off it... not water flowing down small rocks piled up... Problem is, I can't seem to figure out where to get them. No stone yard seems to have them. Do you recall if they were expensive? Did your PB put that in or did a landscaper do it?

Where are you located? I drive by 3 or 4 places every week here in the DFW area. My PB did all of that work. The landscaper is coming tomorrow to add some bling! YEAH!!!

jtech1 said:
imrodee, instead of just piling rocks on our cave, we are trying to find some large stone slabs like you have on your cave to put on top. This is how teh picture we gave our PB months ago looks... flats stone that water flows over and a sheet coming off it... not water flowing down small rocks piled up... Problem is, I can't seem to figure out where to get them. No stone yard seems to have them. Do you recall if they were expensive? Did your PB put that in or did a landscaper do it?

I was at the landscape store today and saw these... Maybe you could send the pic out real quick to your PB and ask him to find some. Good luck!
Helen

Attachments

• IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 245
I think I have found a couple vendors who can supply and install the rock we are looking for... I will post pictures when we have progress... thank you for your suggestions above... I think that a combination of a piece across the front face and large flagstone pieces on top will give us the look we are going for. Only time will tell... :)

My PB is planning to color the inside of the cave. Can anyone tell me exactly how this is done? Paint? stain? spray? I am concerned about the look in general. My alternative is to veneer some stone inside the cave similar to what is around the outside of the cave.

Still working on it... found another company to redo all the rock work... it looks much better. It should be finished in a week or so and I will post new pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a new pic of the redone rock work... still work to be done on the steps, hill and landscaping in the spring, but it is coming along.

Attachments

• Grotto4.JPG
    Grotto4.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 213
Hello to you all on this thread. We are in the process of finalizing a bid for our pool and just have a question of imrodee and jtech1 or I guess anyone else who might offer some insight? We are in the Dallas area and we too are wanting a grotto. We have been quoted a 3 ton grotto. A medium grotto. And supposedly a 4 ton grotto. We also are going to have somewhere between 4 to 5 feet of boulders on each side to transition to the grotto. I've googled 3 ton grotto and it says its big enough for one person. We looked at 2 different builders pools today. They both had pretty large grottos with slides built in so was hard to judge and of course the one builder developed amnesia when I asked what tonnage it was? If you don't mind sharing what tonnage yours was I could get a better idea. Thanks

Hello to you all on this thread. We are in the process of finalizing a bid for our pool and just have a question of imrodee and jtech1 or I guess anyone else who might offer some insight? We are in the Dallas area and we too are wanting a grotto. We have been quoted a 3 ton grotto. A medium grotto. And supposedly a 4 ton grotto. We also are going to have somewhere between 4 to 5 feet of boulders on each side to transition to the grotto. I've googled 3 ton grotto and it says its big enough for one person. We looked at 2 different builders pools today. They both had pretty large grottos with slides built in so was hard to judge and of course the one builder developed amnesia when I asked what tonnage it was? If you don't mind sharing what tonnage yours our I could get a better idea. Thanks
Not imrodee or jtech1 but we have an 8t rock waterfall with a slide. It fits 3. Any more would be uncomfortable.

Thanks Cbink but am curious without the slide part do you know approximately how many ton your grotto is? It looks great.

Sorry for the delay - just started a new job so I've been slammed recently!

I don't think the slide actually makes a whole lot of difference to the total tonnage if you're looking at it based on height/width. I recently asked about mine and apparently they ordered 8t but it has more like 6.5t on there. I've seen other 8t rock waterfalls from my PB without the slide and they're about the same size but have a bit more rock on them.
Hope that helps a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.