grids not holding DE

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
My grids are 2 summers old and were hosed off at the beginning of the season (May) but NOT soaked in TSP. My pressure is normally 10 and has been going up to 15 fast, within a few minutes after backwash. Pool is clear and so I figured it must be something with the DE filter. Last night we took the top off and the grids didn't have any DE powder sticking to them. We took out the grids, hosed out the DE powder in the filter body, put in a new set of grids ($130) and started it all back up. I put 3.7 lbs of DE slurry in the skimmer and pressure was at 10 and holding.

I'm now soaking the old grids in TSP. I'm assuming that the reason pressure kept rising was that the DE wasn't sticking? Is it oils from sunscreen etc that causes this?

Last summer when we pulled off the top the grids were nicely covered in DE so it was a surprise to see them bare this year. (Yes, I do add it to the skimmer after backwashing, I prepare the slurry before I do the backwash.)

Water: perfectly clear and sparkling
FC: 5
CC: 0
CYA: 60
PH: 7.6
TA: 140
CA: 230
Water Temp: 81 (was 91 last week)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.