grew up with pools, now IG pool owner (starting my 3r years)

Re: grew up with pools, now IG pool owner (starting my 3r ye

Thanks for the instructions. Just one question: I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here:

Calculate enough CYA to get to 30 ppm and add it to your pool. Don't bother retesting for it, just calc correctly and know that it's there.

To be sure: are you saying to look at the http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock and select the CYA that is closest to a SHOCK FC of 30 (which is almost 80)?

*OR* are you saying to use the Pool Calculator and enter values there?

Just wanna make sure I use the right tables/figures before I start adding any chemicals.

He's saying you need 30ppm of CYA in your pool. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much stabilizer is needed to bring your CYA up to 30. Add that amount of CYA to the pool. After it's dissolved, don't bother testing for it, assume it's there (it won't show up on the test for a couple days to a week). Now use the chart to figure your FC shock level for a CYA level of 30.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe the pool store sold me stabilizer at some point in the past 2 years. Is this commonly sold in granular form? If so, I believe their instructions said to simply add it into the skimmer slowly, possibly at night (can't remember).

The pool calc is saying to add: 64oz (by weight) or 67oz (by vol) or 166oz (liquid). Assuming I get granular, can I slowly add all of this into the skimmer at one time? Once that's done, how long should I wait to start the SHOCKING process? Overnight, a couple hours, start right away?

Thanks

We recommend putting the CYA in a sock and hanging it in front of the return jet. That way you can continue to use and clean the filter.

Start the shock process as soon as you want. Once the CYA is dissolved, assume it is active and use the estimated level to determine shock level.

When you say you "hang it in front of the return jet", is it right against the jet, or somehow suspended out a few inches?

Also, it seems to me that I need to wait until the stabilizer is fully dissolved before I begin super-chlorinating. Is that correct?

Tie it to a pole and suspend it out a bit. You can start the shock process with a 10ppm target until the CYA is dissolved and then raise the shock target.

Hanging a pair of tights from the pool pole dangling in front of the return jet definitely catches the eye :eek:

Got 4 lbs of CYA dissolving over night and will start the SHOCK treatment tomorrow morning.

Which brings up a new question: I'm gonna be going away mid-day sat - mon afternoon. Hopefully I can complete the process [based on my numbers] starting tomorrow and checking on Sat. If not, what would you recommend I do [since nothing can be added after noon Sat until evening on Monday?

0700: put 290oz 8.25% (for FC 0 -> 12)
1500: FC 7, CC 8: put 121oz (for FC 7 -> 12)

is it normal for CC to ramp up like this when shocking?

also, when testing FC - not all the powder dissolved, and just when I thought it was clear, it then turned a little pink. Should I let it settle for some period or time, or keep swirling until everything is dissolved? I don't have the speedstir, so I'm doing this by hand.

yes, that's exactly what happened. I added the initial drops - 1 by 1 - until it went clear. Then, after it sat for maybe 10 - 15 seconds, it started to turn slightly pink again before I started to test for CC. I thought it might have been because of some undissolved power.

thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support