Greetings, New pool owner/renter, complete noob

well with my Aeration it has gone up to 7.2 but i am no longer aerating and I am officially SLAM'ing.

FC - 8
CC - 1
PH - 7.2
TA - 170
CYA - 40

According to pool Calc i needed to add just a cup or two over a half gallon of 12.5%. So i dumped that in and will check in an hour to make sure my levels are where they should.

For the new peeps, this when the pool company opened

This is the Start of the SLAM as of today at 4pm (I removed tons of leaves and did guesstimated chlorine levels, until my k-2006 kit arrived, for a few days). Color hasn't changed for a day or two from me letting levels get to appropriate levels to SLAM

Also side note: The magnetic stirrer is THE COOLEST invention for testing. I love it and makes things so precise especially for an uncoordinated type like myself. Definitely worth the small investment.

Scott

So I started to think that the only thing i haven't touched in my system is the DE filter. After my pressure not changing since the day it was turned on (14-15 psi even after backwashng) I started to think to myself, i think the pool guys were wrong (shocker). i had believed them when they said everything was good but i came to find out they never even pulled the filter off. So after pulling the cover off i see my filters coated in what looked like mud. everything was covered. So i took them out and sprayed them, then back flushed all the nasty water and then set it to filter. With no DE in yet my pressure was 10 (facepalm)!!!!

Added the appropriate DE so now my pressure is like 11PSI. So for the last week i have literally not been filtering!! grrrrrrr. Thanks yet again pool guys. So now i am officially SLAM'ing with a perfectly clean filter and great starting levels. Now we just maintain (taught the wife how to use the magnastirrer tonight so she can maintain while I'm at work this week)

Now maybe my cloudiness will subside now that i am actually FILTERING!!!! What you guys think?

Scott

Scott! NO WAY about your filter! Good thing you thought of that! WOW!

Please tell me that you have FIRED the pool guy! Give me his phone number and I will call him for you and fire him LOL

I bet your pool clearing will speed up for sure!

Kim

So i vacuumed this morning and for the first time i could see the vacuum head on the bottom in the shallow end (just barely). i could also notice that some of my color in my pool was due to sediment on the bottom because i could see a change as I vacuumed. Noticed my PSI was back up to 15 PSI so i decided i wasn't going to do a simple spray off, i was going to remove all the grids and drain the filter it-self. Took the filter back apart and found tons of really fine sand (i assume from my vacuuming, at least its working!). I removed the whole assembly and disassembled the grids and found fine sand all over them. drained the filter and found tons of sand and muck that didnt't get out from yesterday's quick cleaning. Cleaned everything and put it back together (thanks youtube) and turned everything on. Found my pressure at around 6-7. lol So even after my cleaning yesterday i was still bad but i didn't know it. so i measure the weight of my cofee can empty, then full of DE. Then applied the 4.5lbs of DE as required by my filter. Sitting around 6PSI.

Ran a test at 6 AM:

FC - 13
CC - 1

added a little over 2 cups 12.5%

Ran a test after i did all my maintenance so around 11 and got

FC - 14
CC - .5

added 2 cups of 12.5%

I didn't think the pool looked different from yesterday at 4pm but like you said i took a pic. and back to back it does look blue-er.

Yesterday at 4pm

Today at 11am

Can't tell until the pics are back to back.

Scott

Success!!!!!!!

Its amazing what one day with filter that is actualy filtering can do!

Yesterday right after i cleaned the filter

This morning

Hard to tell in the pic cause it was early but it is crystal clear! the dark blue square is where the ladder usually is installed.

Now to just "kill" everything.

FC - 13
CC - .5

hopefully a few more days to kill everything and it might be ready for the weekend!!!! crosses fingers

Scott

Yea less than 24 hours to be honest. Amazing when you actually filter right?!?!?!?

I still have a little CC .5-1 so i'm gonna keep running the SLAM going until i get that to 0. I have the wife babystitting the Bleach today until i get off work. when i get home i'll vacuum everything up now that i can see literally EVERYTHING!!! So i should have a clean and clear pool so i'm ready for my OCLT maybe tomorrow night. I don't care if it takes a few more days as long as it is ready by Saturday evening when my house guests arrive (crosses fingers).

The wife is totally pleased with me and trusts what i say when it comes to pool care, and its all thanks to this site!

Might put up some daylight/sunny pics later this afternoon when i get off work to show off the crystal clear-ness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More like the pool company made things "not right".

Im excited.
You should be excited, you did a great job.

The sad thing is that pool stores/services actually do a disservice in many cases. By clinging to "this is how we have always done it" attitudes they cost pool owners tons of money. It is not like the FC/CYA relationship is something new. There are peer reviewed papers going back to the mid 70's that explain it. But, folks like us here at TFP are considered the "fringe" by the industry -/off soapbox/

Got home this afternoon and the FC had dropped a bit (My CYA is about 30-35 so not the best sunscreen) due to our 92* super sunny day. But as you can see i am crystal clear!! I vacuumed everything and got all the sand out of the pool so everything is looking good.

FC - 10.6 (bumped it back up to around 14)
CC - .2
TA - 160
PH - 7.6
CYA - 30-35

Going to try my OCLT tonight just to see what happens. Wish me luck!!

pic is from before vacuuming (you can see the dirt/sand on the right side of the pool bottom.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.