Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help as I'm not sure what else to try.

My pool water has a green tint ever since shocking it after I had algae growth. The bottom and sides are clear aside from some sand and debris that needs to be vacuumed out. I did shock it, twice, and that cleared up the algae. It was cloudy. Now, it's still tinted green! I am on well water and have topped it off with untreated water (we know there are metals in the water). I suspect this is the issue after doing some online research. All chemicals levels are in proper balance.

I added Natural Chemistry metal free. I see no difference after 24 hours. Perhaps I did not add enough? I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: SO you obviously have two issues to deal with, iron and algae. In that case, we always treat the algae first unless you plan to exchange water to get fresh non-iron water delivered. But if you're sticking with what you have, treat the algae first. We do that following the SLAM Process. To conduct the SLAM accurately, you need a proper test kit. Across the border we like teh TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. You can get the K-2006C up there, or if you have delivery options down south order a TF-100. Either kit will work, but you need one of them. During the SLAM Process, place polyfill in your skimmer to help try to capture as much iron as you can while teh elevated chlorine has it out of solution.

After you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then you can pursue iron treatment. Continue with the polyfill and then once you can no longer capture iron with polyfill treat the water with a sequestrant on a regular basis.

The links below should also be very helpful. Look everything over and let us know if you have any questions.

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Mdragger88
Some polyfill ideas.

full

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! :wave: SO you obviously have two issues to deal with, iron and algae. In that case, we always treat the algae first unless you plan to exchange water to get fresh non-iron water delivered. But if you're sticking with what you have, treat the algae first. We do that following the SLAM Process. To conduct the SLAM accurately, you need a proper test kit. Across the border we like teh TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. You can get the K-2006C up there, or if you have delivery options down south order a TF-100. Either kit will work, but you need one of them. During the SLAM Process, place polyfill in your skimmer to help try to capture as much iron as you can while teh elevated chlorine has it out of solution.

After you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then you can pursue iron treatment. Continue with the polyfill and then once you can no longer capture iron with polyfill treat the water with a sequestrant on a regular basis.

The links below should also be very helpful. Look everything over and let us know if you have any questions.

Pool Care Basics

Thank you! I'm currently shocking it and it appears the algae is gone. I notice that one of the SLAM criteria is clear water. Mine is cloudy, but I can see the bottom of the pool. It hasn't been crystal clear since before using well water to top off. Does this still pass the SLAM test?

Does this still pass the SLAM test?
It should be clear. Even if you have iron and the water is green or ice tea color, it should be clear. If you use a sand filter, those can be a little slow removing dead algae in suspension, but it's important to pass the 3 SLAM criteria of clear water, CC of 0.5 or less, and passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

It should be clear. Even if you have iron and the water is green or ice tea color, it should be clear. If you use a sand filter, those can be a little slow removing dead algae in suspension, but it's important to pass the 3 SLAM criteria of clear water, CC of 0.5 or less, and passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Yes, it is a sand filter. I will do the test tonight and report back. Thank you!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thank you for the help so far! Pool is clear and shocking is done. Vacuumed up a lot of stuff.

Polyfill is picking up lots of iron. Also added a metal sequestrant, as per your advice. How long should it take to see improvement? Guessing it's on the slower side, but worth an ask.

How long should it take to see improvement? Guessing it's on the slower side, but worth an ask.
Ha. Yes, patience is key. The good thing is you are making progress. Clear evidence what you are doing is working. Hang in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.