Greenish Dirt or Algae on bottom of pool

Thanks Casey! Went out there this morning:

FC was at 5ppm. Added enough chlorine to bump up to 10
CC was at .5

I also brushed the entire pool and have my automatic pool cleaner in there now. Running the pump 24/7. Here is picture from today of the sediment that is on the bottom: image.jpg

Also opened the top of the top of the sand filter to check for channeling on the sides or in the sand. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Also yesterday I put some DE substitute inside my sand filter. Also, it is better to run your pump on low for normal filtering and mixing chemicals correct?

Your pump should be on high for the entire SLAM procedure and running 24/7. You want maximum filtration for the pump to do a big job.....getting that dead algae up off the floor or out of the pool water.

Yes, operating on low for a long time will handle your daily needs ONCE THE POOL HAS BEEN CLEANED UP. You need to keep it on high and do everything possible (brush, clean vacuum) to get the dirt from your pool quickly. That S44t filter will handle the push from that pump ok.

Just an aside. Do you have a vacuum? A good, super-slow vacuum is best when you have that much sediment. A pool cleaner will often just stir most of it up and then it will settle again. Once the majority is cleaned up, you can run the pool cleaner. Just my 2 cents.

Looks like it could be mustard algae. Definitely need to keep at full Slam level until eradicated. Mustard can get through a sand fliter. Vacuuming to waste can help. Adding filter fiber can also help.

Thanks for your input guys. That would explain why it kept coming back after we vacuumed it up. Just tested it and the chlorine levels are:

FC 8.5ppm
CC: 1ppm

Added more 10% liquid chlorine to the pool to push it well over 10ppm. Also, I manual vacuumed most of the sediment up today. Afterwards I used the robotic cleaner to clean the entire pool again.

Good deal. I kept telling my new neighors (pool newbies) to vacuum. They would say, "We did!". It took a while before I realized that they considered their robot a vacuum and I didn't. Semantics will get you every time! As soon as we did a slow, 1-1/2 hour vacuum, the pool floor looked amazing. Done. I do one major vacuum a year at opening after scooping out crud from the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: pool is looking better today.
FC was at 12ppm
CC appeared to be zero. The water was clear but with the slightest pink.

Added enough liquid chlorine to bump it up to 15ppm. Going to brush the pool. Noticed on the sides of the pool some of the green sediment in question. Not much, very little of it.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Tested water this morning at about 8:00.

FC was at 10ppm
CC was at 1ppm

Added liquid chlorine to boost it up to 13ppm

Tested just now at 12pm. My sand filter was noticeably dirty. Barely any water flow. Backwashed it and added more filter aid. (DE substitute)

Chlorine was at 8.5ppm
CC appeared to be zero

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.