Greenish-Brown water after adding Muraic acid and then later chlorine

bkkari

Aug 21, 2014
Central, MN
Hi ,
We had a new liner placed and needed to refill our pool with our community well water. When the pool was full, the water looked greenish/ Brown. We knew we had iron in our water, so before doing any chemical balancing, we added Polyfill in nylon socks to our skimmers, and seriously within 2 days the water was sparkly clean.
Then we started to adjust our chemicals. First results of water ( prior to adjusting):
Cya 0
TA 220-240
PH 8.0
FC 0
CH 275
Salt 0

First we adjusted salt. Now 3300
Then the cya: now approx 55
Today did the TA/ ph: TA still 190. PH 7.2 ( tested 2 hours later)
Shortly after this noticed water was looking a little darker, didn’t think much of it.
I placed a question on this website ( concern for still elevated TA) and if I should work on this further or if ok to adjust chlorine. Got the go ahead to adjust chlorine.
Chlorine now 4. However water now looks greenish/ Brown like it did in the very beginning.
I’ve cleaned the filter, added the nylon Polyfill stockings again. Hoping it’ll clear up again over night.

Am I silly to think I can filter out this iron, or do I really need to add sequestrant? I’m puzzled because prior to this, we haven’t had to add any sequestrants to our pool and we’ve had it for almost 7 years and it was filled by the same well back then.
I was hoping to avoid adding sequestrants because then I have to add it regularly, etc. any thought son this? If I do need the sequestrant, can I add this even tho my pH is only at 7.2? Can I add this while adjusting my other chemicals? Also typically how long does it take for iron to stain a vinyl lining? Our liner is new, so I’d hate to have this stained right away. Any thoughts/ advice greatly appreciated.

If need a sequestrant, any preference on which kind? One other question re: my pH, can I use borax to increase my ph and if so, will it aff3ct my other chemicals?

Thanks again,
BK
I

Yup, that lowered pH and adding chlorine can cause the metals to fall out of suspension.

You've got a honkin'big pool, and usually these polyfil type canisters are for smaller above ground pools but.... I like 'em! I like the simplicity of it. You're putting the polyfil in to socks, I gather?? If it were me, I'd try to just put large battings of it directly into the skimmer (I'd also use a skimmer sock). Do you have a main drain too? If so you should keep that open too .

You also went some time without any chlorine, which may have set you up for an algae outbreak.

Have you read this: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Maddie :flower:

Hello,
I have been putting them in a nylon sock in the skimmer. I don’t have a skimmer sock. Tested my water this morning FC the same at 4. CC is zero. TA 200. pH 7.2 salt 3400. CH 275.
The water looks better in the shallow end than the deep end, but still murky. Do you think I can rectify this problem using the Polyfill filter process? ( and that maybe it’s just going to take time? Or do you think I need to get to the store and purchase sequestrant ?
I have read the Metals in the water and Metal stains , but still needing help.

Greatly appreciate any advice anyone has.
Thx.

My opinion: if it's clearing, however slowly, using polyfill, keep at it. That way you'll remove it completely. Sequestrants are like the hard candy shell on an M&M. The chocolate is still there, it's just wrapped up. Problem is, sequestrants break down over time. When it does, the iron will reappear. Thus you will forever be adding sequestrant. You'll probably want to , anyway, just as insurance, but you'll need less if you get the iron out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.