Green won't go away!!

Ok...now I am getting a little worried. It is storming pretty bad around here and when I looked at my pool it looks 2-3 shades darker! I have been maintaining shock level and last I tested FC was 12.5 (about 3:30 pm). I added about 2 96 oz jugs. I can't test right now b/c of storm. Has the rain/storm really messed me up? Is there a possibility that I have lost all my FC? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks,
Kelly

kdubya815 said:
Ok...now I am getting a little worried. It is storming pretty bad around here and when I looked at my pool it looks 2-3 shades darker! I have been maintaining shock level and last I tested FC was 12.5 (about 3:30 pm). I added about 2 96 oz jugs. I can't test right now b/c of storm. Has the rain/storm really messed me up? Is there a possibility that I have lost all my FC? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks,
Kelly
Right now you are worried about nothing. There's no way you can loose all of your FC that fast!

Keep it at shock level (or level +2!), keep the filter running, keep brushing (yea, stir the pot!), AND pop a bottle of POP (Pool Owners Patience)...

The water didn't get this green super fast and it won't get clear immediately...

Keep it up! It will get clear! :cool:

Terry in NC

So I finally got outside about 8 pm last night after the storm. Lots of tree branches and leaves in the pool. Also, 6-8 of my frog friends came back (serenaded us well into the night). Funny though, they were on the sides and not actually in the water! I reckon they didn't like the high FC!!

My FC was 16 at that time. This morning, about 6:45 am, my FC was 15! I only lost 1 FC overnight!! Still have CC of 1 so I am still maintaining shock level but I feel like I am getting close. Hopefully only a few more days and I will have a pool I can actually swim in!!

Here's a pic from this morning:

[attachment=0:1ux2cdiv]pool 6.16.11 small.jpg[/attachment:1ux2cdiv]

Big change from just a few days ago!

Attachments

• pool 6.16.11 small.jpg
    pool 6.16.11 small.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 72
The water is looking better and better! Soon all this fighting algae stuff will be just a memory!

However, I have noticed something that concerns me. I happened to look at the area where the water comes out when I backwash and I noticed a good bit of sand. :? I have noticed a little sand entering the sight glass when I backwash. What would cause this to happen? My husband and I replaced the sand filter at the beginning of June. We made sure we used the sand cover when we put sand in it. I am not sure if it comes out each time or if it came out when I first backwashed it. Next time I have to backwash I will get my husband to watch it (it is on the outside of the privacy fence so I can't see it from the pool area.) Anyone know what might be happening?

Also, when I got in the pool to check the bottom for debris, I did check the area around the return in the shallow end to see if I felt any sand on the floor and I did not. I took that to mean that sand is not coming into the pool.

Thanks for any input!

When you replace the sand, you should have a significant amount of water in the filter to cushion the fall of the sand against the laterals. Also, you need to do a long backflush after the addition of the sand.

If you don't feel sand in the pool, you may be OK. One way to test is to turn off the pump, have someone hold a sock over a return, then turn the pump back on. This will tell you if you have sand coming back through the returns.

Thanks for the quick reply! We did fill the filter with water about half way per the instructions before we poured in the sand. We also did a very long backwash right away.

I will definitely try the sock over the return idea.

Thank you!

I will do the sock test when the hubby gets home to help me!!

In the meantime, as mentioned previously, the other night I only lost 1 ppm of FC overnight. Last night, at 9:30 pm the FC was 16, this morning at 7:30 am the FC was 15.5. I only lost 0.5 FC. My question is this...how can I have these minimal loses overnight but still have a CC of 1.0? When I test the CC, I have to look very hard at the water to determine if I need to put in that 2nd drop of R-0871. The water is looking better and better as each day I can see further down. I do still have a slight greenish tint in the deep end. Also, my pressure gauge barely moves by 2 psi in a day, so backwashing is much less frequent. I am targeting a FC of 15 rather than 13. I do seem to lose a lot of FC during the day, but I know my CYA (20-30) is on the low side. I was going to readjust after shocking is done. Does it sound like I am doing something wrong?

Latest numbers as of 12:10 pm:

FC 11
CC 1.0 barely!
Ph 7.2
TA 90
CH 120
CYA 20-30 (will test again tomorrow since it was adjusted Monday)

Thanks for all your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You add drops until there is no change at all, then subtract the last drop. So if you have to look very hard, you haven't completed, but may still come out at the same conclusion.

I like your method of starting at 15. Don't worry about the minimal loss, you'll keep shocking until the water is clear anyway. It can take a while to get through the process.

You are on your way!!! I went away for 2 1/2 days and returned to a clear pool (I guess a watched pot never does boil). It took well over a month from black to clear. It is not sparkly yet, but I am still in the mood to do cartwheels around the back yard! Hang in there!!! :)

if it hasn't already been mentioned...never submerge your garden hose in pool water. when the hose is off you can actually siphon the water from the pool in to the water source if you don't have an anti-siphon spigot.

Update and question:

Pool is looking better and better everyday! I am beginning to see the bottom in the shallow end. We had a terrible storm yesterday with straight-line winds. Trees are down everywhere around town. There is a huge (doesn't even describe how big!!) maple tree in my neighbor's yard that blows leaves and leaves into the pool everyday :grrrr: The storm yesterday of course was blowing in the direction where all the debris came straight into the pool. (I consider us lucky that it didn't fall on our house given the way it was leaning) Between yesterday and today I have removed a small tree worth of leaves from the top, so I knew there was a lot on the bottom. Well, I decided to get in and check it out. Sure enough, there was a ton that I got off the floor. During my "work" I noticed that the main drain in the deep end was completely blocked with leaves and debris. I pulled out as much as I could (yes, I turned the pump off first!!), but there is still a lot that is blocking the drain. I feel like this is one of the main reasons it is taking so long to clear because circulation is not what it is supposed to be at the bottom of the deep end. Any suggestions on how to clean this? Thanks for any help!

Oh yeah! And Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there :wave:

Thanks!
Kelly

If you have one you can use a leaf bagger:
Sallie-LeafBagger.jpg

to pick up the leaves.

Thanks Jason! I have an old one of these but the bag is torn. I need to order a replacement.

I have gotten the loose leaves off the bottom. The leaves on the drain are actually stuck in the holes of the drain. I pulled a lot of them out, but some of them are stuck pretty good. Any other suggestions? Maybe that's the only way to get them out? Thanks!!

I know that it is recommended that the filter be backwashed once the pressure rises 8-10 psi. My pressure is not rising that much very quickly anymore. It takes about 4 or so days to even get close to that much of an increase. During this time where I am waiting on the water to clear, should I be backwashing once every day or so even if the pressure does not rise that quickly? Or would that essentially make the clearing cloudy water stage take longer?

Also, last year I had the CYA around 40 ppm if I am remembering correctly. This year, I have added 3.75 lbs of CYA and when I test it I can still see the black dot with a full tube (the water does get cloudy but not enough to make the dot disappear). I am currently adding another 3.75 lbs in front of a jet. It has taken over 100 jugs (96 oz) to clean my pool, and I am still working because it is not yet completely clear. With this amount of chlorine and the fact that my CYA was basically non-existent when I started this process, is it possible that the CYA turned to ammonia over the winter? I believe I read that this could happen albeit very rarely. Just wondering why it seems to have taken an exorbitant amount of chlorine! Trying to explain it to my husband and I want to make sure I "sound" like I halfway know what I am talking about :lol:

Don't worry about it. Even when I'm shocking it can take 3 or 4 days for my pressure to get up. Right now I've been running OVER A MONTH without backflushing. In fact, I just checked my pressure tonight and going over 4 and almost 5 weeks I am only up 4 psi. Don't sweat it. Be happy!

Don't worry about CYA until it has been in there for around a week. You won't see an overnight difference. You are correct though, your ammonia could be part of the problem and it "can" drive down CYA.

By the way, love the picture, you are getting there!

Thanks RobbieH! I feel better about backwashing (or the lack thereof!) now.

My pool is really starting to make huge progress daily! I can easily see the liner in the shallow end and I am beginning to see the liner halfway down the long slope to the deep end!

Here is a picture from this morning. It is a little hard to see b/c of the water movement and the shadow of the huge maple tree that gives me headaches!

[attachment=0:2zl4ciyl]pool 6.22.11.jpg[/attachment:2zl4ciyl]

Attachments

• pool 6.22.11.jpg
    pool 6.22.11.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.