Green water. High CYA

Chlorine equilibrates with CYA very quickly in seconds so there is nothing weird going on with the hydrogen peroxide reduction. Hydrogen peroxide is not stable so the percentage may not be what you think it is from a bottle from a drugstore that could have been on the shelf for who knows how long.

The hydrogen peroxide will not interfere with the CYA test and as you point out there shouldn't be any left if you still have chlorine in the water.

To oxidize CYA from ammonia in any reasonable period of time you need to have very high FC level and very high pH at around 9, neither of which is your situation.

So so far it's not working. That seems to be the case with most of the trials, unfortunately. Only a few worked even some while most didn't work at all (within test error). You can see if that changes, but I'd expect it to do something within one week at the most which is what I think they say to do.

Today (3 days after Bio-Active added) ≈1.0FC, 0CC, 7.4pH, ≈100CYA (no dilution).

Still clear.

Agreed re: whether B-A is likely doing anything. I'll report the full week's data, though. Maybe tomorrow i'll scrub my CYA-testing bits clean so point #8 in here can't be the excuse: http://www.solarsunrings.com/bioactivenow//resources/Bio-Active%20Technical%20Bulletin%203%20-%20Page%20Format.pdf -- the comment about the use of the test kit is interesting (point #9), particularly re: letting the precipitate settle for a minute and then measuring the height of a column of water *above* the settled stuff required to obscure the test dot. That's not the TF-100 instructions at all, and frankly sounds silly -- how much precipitate you get sounds like the real point of the test, no? Taylor's page certainly doesn't say anything about letting it settle: https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

Forget settling. It's a turbidity test and you are supposed to gently mix the sample and the melamine reagent so that they from a cloudy SUSPENDED precipitate. You want it cloudy for the entire height of the water in the tube. You do NOT want it physically precipitating to the bottom of the tube.

However, you bring up an interesting point and has me wondering if water with clarifiers in it (including Polyquat 60 which is a clarifier as well as an algaecide) might coagulate and precipitate the melamine-cyanurate too much thereby "clearing" the water in the tube making it look like the reading is too low.

No, the slider/stick type is only supposed to move a black dot up and down so that you look through varying amounts of suspended CYA. It might give a different (even lower) result if the CYA did in fact precipitate to the bottom, but again that is NOT supposed to be the way the test works. It is not supposed to form precipitate that settles. It is supposed to form a milky suspension. If it doesn't do that, then the result will not be correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.