Green to Clean by Memorial Day?

After school numbers - FC 25.5 CC 0
Still brushing the algae. Is there a method to this? I am brushing down the steps and then from the shallow end to the deep end. I try to push it all toward the intake drains on the bottom. Then I brush the sides and brush the bottom for a second time. I've been doing it 2-3 times a day. The pool looks great - just clouds up a bit when I brush and then it all just settles on the bottom /slopes again.

845pm numbers - a little discouraging - FC 20.5 CC barely .5 Still brushing like crazy Going to use Pool Math to put in enough for the night plus a little extra because I don't want to go out there in the dark lol. Leaving the filter running tonight again. We will see what tomorrow brings.

845pm numbers - a little discouraging - FC 20.5 CC barely .5 Still brushing like crazy Going to use Pool Math to put in enough for the night plus a little extra because I don't want to go out there in the dark lol. Leaving the filter running tonight again. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Relax! You're making great progress, and Memorial Day proper is still a full week away!

Latest numbers:
Yesterday
730 am FC28 CC barely .5 10:30am FC 27.5 CC .5 1:30pm FC 20 CC barely .5 (added another gallon - it was sunny but still seeing algae) 6:30P FC 25 CC 0 (yay!)
840pm FC 24.5 CC less than .5 Added another gallon to keep it up during the night

This morning - Woke to see a stray cat trying to drink from the pool lol - I am going to have to figure out how to get rid of him/her. Pool looks good - but still see algae in spots on bottom/slope
9am FC 25 CC 0 (so I must have lost at least some during the night - slam continues!)

I keep trying to use my Polaris 165 to help me keep the algae from settling - but I have to babysit it. It keeps flipping over and spraying a lot of water out of the pool. So I have run out there to stop the fountain. Anyone else out there have one of these and know a trick to stop this? Between the backwashing and the fountain I have to replace some water from the hose and it is pricey here in my part of PA

Thanks again for all your help - it sure beats trying to get a straight answer at the pool store

Anyone have suggestions for how to discourage the feline visitor - I am not a cat fan and my kids are skittish about stray animals.

The pool looks good - the kids are biting at the bit to get in there - I tried telling them that the current water temperature is 62 - they say they don't mind lol

I think I may be done with SLAM? I tested FC at 11pm last night 23.5 Tested again this morning - same result. My plan is to add one more gallon of bleach for good measure today - give it a good vacuuming and let it drift down. The pool looks really good - the kids and hubby have been bugging me for a time frame for its use :p It just needs a vacuuming after the rain last night. We got a lot of rain so I was happy the chlorine level stayed pretty steady.
When it warms up a little this afternoon I will post a full set of numbers - but based on this - do you think I am done with the SLAM? I am just afraid that I will stop it prematurely and we will be at step one again.
The water temp is a chilly 65 degrees - I don't want to turn the heater on and create a warm bath for any sneaky algae.
I haven't been putting the solar cover on the pool during the SLAM - Should I put it on today after the bleach addition to kill anything that might be lurking on the solar cover too? What do you think?

I'd chunk that solar cover in at least for an hour or so while it's at SLAM level-also any brushes, nets, cleaners, hoses, toys that may be suspect. Looks like you're GOLDEN!

I'd chunk that solar cover in at least for an hour or so while it's at SLAM level-also any brushes, nets, cleaners, hoses, toys that may be suspect. Looks like you're GOLDEN!

Just for good measure we put the solar cover on last night - it was a little funky after the winter. So after putting another jug of bleach in the pool, I brushed it off with a sprinkle of bleach on top to kill anything on top of the cover. And I threw in all the other brushes and stuff around and let it soak one more night. This morning the pool looked great! I vacuumed, backwashed added DE and let the pool breathe in the sunshine. It's looking great, although the white steps seem stained, despite vacuuming and brushing.

Took a set of numbers at 5pm - FC 22 CC 0 PH 7.4 TA 110 CH 120 CYA 50

I guess I have a little more work to do

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I was about to go on amazon to see about getting a fountain - I kinda like the idea but you probably just saved me some money! How far down do I have to let the FC drift before I give the ok for swimming? It was breezy and 70 today and the water is a brisk 65 degrees so I wasn't being bugged too much by the kids today. But 80+ is predicted for Monday

I would let any brave souls in tonight if they can fair the cold water! :shock: Me... I'll watch the blue lips swim by! :mrgreen:

You did a great job and got it done for the Holiday weekend! Enjoy your pool and company! Have a great Memorial Day and be safe! :cool:

Good Morning - Happy Memorial Day - especially to our veterans and their families - THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
I am working on getting the pool set up so it will be ready after we visit our town's memorial service.

Two questions:
1 At what point will I be able to have an accurate set of test results. The FC is now down at 14.5

2. I used my handy dandy salt test kit for the first time (taylor K-1766) and the results are 2200 - which if accurate, means I have to add 147 pounds of salt to my pool?! Could this be accurate. We have had a lot of rain/snow/snow/ snow/rain over the past few months - so could this be possible? The last time I had the salt tested - it was last spring at the pool store - gasp! I don't remember what the results were but I remember I had to add some salt. What do you think? If my salt is this low, how does this affect the SWG?

Thanks so much to all of you out there - you have been a fantastic resource for us!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.