Jacksonville, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello , My Name is Jose and I'm new to this Forum and also new to Pools in general. First of all Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. A few months ago I renovated my unground pool with pebbles aggregate. The other day I noticed Algae started to grow and I went and bought HTH green to blue product. Well Not knowing much about the product and pools I followed the instructions however I made a mistake to poured the flocculant directly to the water and not to the skimmer. the problem I do have is that apparently the flocculant has got stuck in the bottom of the floor since the agreggate is rough and not even vacuuming the floor I can't get some of the flocculant out. I even tried to brush it off but it doesn't come out completely leaving some patches of that mustard color in it. Can you please help how to remove that from the floor without damaging the pool? BTW I Do have a D.E filter and first I changed the valve to waste I Switched it to filter after realized it was draining the pool faster than I could fill it with the hose, right after a while I cleaned the filter and I put it back on filter again. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello , My Name is Jose and I'm new to this Forum and also new to Pools in general. First of all Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. A few months ago I renovated my unground pool with pebbles aggregate. The other day I noticed Algae started to grow and I went and bought HTH green to blue product. Well Not knowing much about the product and pools I followed the instructions however I made a mistake to poured the flocculant directly to the water and not to the skimmer. the problem I do have is that apparently the flocculant has got stuck in the bottom of the floor since the agreggate is rough and not even vacuuming the floor I can't get some of the flocculant out. I even tried to brush it off but it doesn't come out completely leaving some patches of that mustard color in it. Can you please help how to remove that from the floor without damaging the pool? BTW I Do have a D.E filter and first I changed the valve to waste I Switched it to filter after realized it was draining the pool faster than I could fill it with the hose, right after a while I cleaned the filter and I put it back on filter again. Thank you in advance.
Welcome! It looks like that product is just overpriced cal hypo so it’s not flocculant (which is good because you don’t want to use flocculant).

Maybe someone else can explain why it sticks to the floor but I had a similar experience adding calcium (calhypo is half calcium) and I had to spend a good 20 minutes stubbing the floor to get it to come up even though I started brushing right after I added it. I suspect you’ll just need to keep brushing, if you can get in the pool and scrub by hand with a rough sponge it might go faster.

Reactions: Rolin2004
I vacuumed more with the valve to waste and was able to removed the majority, added more shock to the pool and now looks better however still in the floor and even when I scrub hard it doesn't seem to come off completely. Like I said before I know very little about pools but I've done kitchen and bathroom tiles and the only thing I could think of is that the pebble aggregate was not sealed like we do with the grout and anything that stain can get in between and stain it easier. Anybody that knows about this that can explain if I'm mistaken? or perhaps can tell me how to eliminate the mustard stain? BTW I called HTH support and they recommended HTH™ Pool Care Metal, Stain, and Scale Control or poolife™ Stain Lift but I didn't want to add more junk in chemicals that I don't need in my pool. What you guys think?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

I vacuumed more with the valve to waste and was able to removed the majority, added more shock to the pool and now looks better however still in the floor and even when I scrub hard it doesn't seem to come off completely. Like I said before I know very little about pools but I've done kitchen and bathroom tiles and the only thing I could think of is that the pebble aggregate was not sealed like we do with the grout and anything that stain can get in between and stain it easier. Anybody that knows about this that can explain if I'm mistaken? or perhaps can tell me how to eliminate the mustard stain? BTW I called HTH support and they recommended HTH™ Pool Care Metal, Stain, and Scale Control or poolife™ Stain Lift but I didn't want to add more junk in chemicals that I don't need in my pool. What you guys think?
Maybe need to clarify, are you saying the yellow stuff on the floor only showed up after you added cal hypo or is that the algae you were trying I get rid of earlier?

You’re going to need a test kit as Marty mentioned above.

Maybe need to clarify, are you saying the yellow stuff on the floor only showed up after you added cal hypo or is that the algae you were trying I get rid of earlier?

You’re going to need a test kit as Marty mentioned above.
No those stains are from the flocculant right after I waited 24 hours like the product recommended to vacuum there were a substantial amount that I could vacuumed out but it did stained the floor. There were not a stain in my pool up until I used the product. The algae was on the walls not on the floor and the algae did went away.

No those stains are from the flocculant right after I waited 24 hours like the product recommended to vacuum there were a substantial amount that I could vacuumed out but it did stained the floor. There were not a stain in my pool up until I used the product. The algae was on the walls not on the floor and the algae did went away.
Sorry I’m not understanding. The green to blue product you mentioned is not a flocculant. So what flocculant did you add?

Sorry I’m not understanding. The green to blue product you mentioned is not a flocculant. So what flocculant did you add?
At lease that's what it says in the 2 bags that comes with it:

• HTH® Pool Care Green to Blue Advanced

Pool Calculator
Find Your Pool Size
Fight severe algae bloom and transform your swimming pool water from green to blue in 24 hours with this easy-to-use system.
  • Simple 2-step system contains:
    • 4 bags of Pack I - a strong algae-fighting pool shock utilizing Cal Hypo
    • 2 bags of Pack II - a powerful flocculant that binds algae particles together and drops them to the pool floor for vacuuming to waste
  • Pack II, flocculant contents appears brownish-orangish, which is normal
  • Not for use with cartridge filters
  • To use effectively, your pool must have a multi-port valve with a “waste” position

That's the product I put in the pool. BTW there's still stains left from the product I can not remove.

At lease that's what it says in the 2 bags that comes with it:

Pool Calculator
Find Your Pool Size
Fight severe algae bloom and transform your swimming pool water from green to blue in 24 hours with this easy-to-use system.
  • Simple 2-step system contains:
    • 4 bags of Pack I - a strong algae-fighting pool shock utilizing Cal Hypo
    • 2 bags of Pack II - a powerful flocculant that binds algae particles together and drops them to the pool floor for vacuuming to waste
  • Pack II, flocculant contents appears brownish-orangish, which is normal
  • Not for use with cartridge filters
  • To use effectively, your pool must have a multi-port valve with a “waste” position

That's the product I put in the pool. BTW there's still stains left from the product I can not remove.
Ok, that’s the confusion. Those two products someone bundled in a “kit”. Is all the floc out of the water now?

Ok, that’s the confusion. Those two products someone bundled in a “kit”. Is all the floc out of the water now?
Oh no , I was abled to removed most of it as advertised but a lot of small areas they don't come off even with a brush. It's like that Floc stained the pebbles with that mustard color in some areas. When I called HTH they recommended to add another product that remove metal out of the water but I was sceptic about it and didn't use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.