Green tint upon waking this morning

skibomp

Jul 27, 2023
Raleigh NC
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I use pool math and my chlorine levels are nonexistent from sitting over the winter with my SWG off. I used some chlorine tabs here and there but obviously not enough. So last night I added 3 quarts of bleach and 2 hours later 3 cups of 20% muriatic acid with the intent of using my SWG on super chlorinate first thing this morning since it's getting warmer out.

My pool looked amazing last night and this morning it had a slight green tint.
below are my readings from my test. What would have made the color change from 9pm to 7am this morning?
Should I be doing more than my SWG on super chlorinate?
I also added a picture of the water, and a picture of the water in the spa with a distinct difference.

PXL_20240408_212911532.jpg
PXL_20240408_214011270.jpg
PXL_20240408_214005194.jpg

With negligible chlorine and CYA around 80 you likely have algae in the water.

You need to get your own test kit and then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and probably the SLAM Process

Here is some reading to get you started...

Is it crystal clear but emerald green tint ? Or cloudy green ?

The pic looks tinted instead of cloudy.

Is it crystal clear but emerald green tint ? Or cloudy green ?

The pic looks tinted instead of cloudy.
It was crystal clear the night prior. I added chemicals and the next morning it had a green tint.
The difference is in the spa pic and the pool pic.
With negligible chlorine and CYA around 80 you likely have algae in the water.

You need to get your own test kit and then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and probably the SLAM Process

Here is some reading to get you started...

I have my own test kit, the TF-Pro. I got the following the night before:

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
PH 8.2
TA 60
CH 225
CYA 70
Salt 3200

I have my own test kit, the TF-Pro. I got the following the night before:

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
PH 8.2
TA 60
CH 225
CYA 70
Salt 3200
Hayward SWG T3

It sounds like the green water is from iron in your water.

In addition to that your FC is way low for CYA 70 and your T-3 cell is way undersized for a 18,000 gallon pool. A T-3 cell is rated for a 15,000 gallon pool if run 24/7 and we would not recommend putting it on a pool larger then about 8,000 gallons.

You need to supplement your FC with liquid chlorine until you get a larger cell.

Reactions: Newdude
It was crystal clear the night prior
That's my point. It still looks crystal clear, but green. There is a different clarity between food coloring in water, and food coloring in milk.
I have my own test kit, the TF-Pro
Never set foot in the pool store again for testing. Nor advice. If you'd like to buy their Muriatic Acid or a new float for the kids, you're welcome to stop in. But they don't touch your water or tell you what to do with it. We got you now.