Green pool, SWG broken - advise on how to maintain pool until SWG is fixed.

I ask coz I'm curious and everyone is telling me to shock the heck out of the pool and it should be good in 24 hours.

I was actually responding to your question of why you should not "shock the heck out of the pool" so next time someone gives you that advice you will have a good reason not to shock without testing and why you should test and have knowledge about your pool. As most people just rely on pool store testing and say "why are you spending all that money on test kit when pool store does it free and is more accurate because it is computerized", which you already were able to see pool store was not very accurate reported your CYA as 10 when it was 30. Yes the CYA/chlorine chart is exactly for that purpose, but most people do not even know the CYA/ chlorine chart exists. As long as you follow guidelines of this forum you are good, but your friends (or at least mine) are going to tell you that you do not have to do that, just do what pool store or pool management company says to do. Now you have one good reason why you do not do that but control and understand and manage your pool better than the pool store.

PS, also next time SWG goes bad, you will be testing occasionally and know it way before the pool goes green and supplement with chlorine til you get it fixed and never miss a day of swimming.

Well, as in life too much of something isn't necessarily a good thing.. same goes for pools...

This is how I understand it...
If you add too much chlorine/acid over a given period of time, it can degrade your system components/plaster/gunite/vinyl/fiberglass which is why the CYA chart is set up how it is. IF you add this much--- it will dilute this fast--- and take this long to filter out---
There is another chart to handle mustard algae where the target slam level is substantially higher than the normal slam level only because mustard is harder to kill. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart

Keeping on top of normal operating levels will keep you from having to slam your pool excessively.

I backwashed then took a FC reading which reads 9. Its been a very sunny hot day today.

Pool math says I should add 271 oz of bleach (4.25%) to get to 16 fc level.
Is that correct? Also I'm topping up with a little water now - went too low with the backwash and the hot day today.

I intend waiting for sundown + 30 mins to do another reading and to start OCLT. Please confirm my steps are correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure what level my swg was at today but I'll turn it off just before the test.

The pool hasnt changed much colour from this morning. Light blue and cloudy.

Ill report back tomorrow, hopefully with success.

Have a good night and thanks.

Good morning. I'm very excited :).
Pool is still slightly cloudy but the OCLT test results are in.

FC last night - 14
FC this morning - 13
CC this morning - 0

My understanding is that its a pass.

What are your thoughts and where to from here -
My thinking is:
add CYA to 70 level?
Turn on SWG and get ready to swim.

Yep.. punch it back up and keep at it. Maybe 1 or 2 more days depending on clarity. That's usually what keep people from passing all 3 criteria. Turn SWG back on just to help hold the FC during the day then do another OCLT tonight... Give it a good brush if you can too..

Yes, if 16 is the SLAM level for your CYA. The SWG isn't going to add that much FC during the day, and you'll have to turn it off for the OCLT, so I don't see the point.

If you are testing and adding last thing at night and first thing in the morning, I don't see how you don't do the OCLT by default. :)

My CYA is at 30 (or less) as the tester only goes as low as 30. Should I be adding stabilizer now or wait until the pool is clear?
At 30 cya my shock fc level is fine now.
Why are there 2 cya charts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.