Green Pool, No $

Do you have an idea of how much your water costs? Since you're concerned about the $$$ you might want to do some figuring on what draining and refilling is going to cost.....

Not to say you shouldn't do it, just sayin i know someplaces water cost a lot.

misswho said:
frogabog said:
I stand corrected on the calcium chloride and salt. It makes sense duh, since nowhere in "calcium chloride" does "sodium" appear.
Not trying to correct anyone here, just reporting. Sorry if I came across harsh...my apologies!
No apology required. I feel stupid not realizing it. :hammer: :hammer:

It's hard to say how much chlorine you'll need, and you could add it now but if it's not going to do anything because your CYA is very high, there's not a lot of reason especially if you're draining. That's a hard one to be sure of... I think I'd just drain 50% and hope it isn't still over measurable levels. Then decide about draining more, and at minimum you'll have a number to be able to shock with.

All in ground pools should have some kind of draining device or functionality. I'll let someone who actually owns one tackle that for you. Photos of your pool and equipment, any piping or valves, and controllers will help people figure out your system. So far I haven't heard of a home purchase with pool that has ever come with much information, especially equipment manuals or pool specifications. For some reason, seems like people build a pool and then throw all the paperwork away or take it with them. The good folks here are used to new owners in your situation, pictures are good.

harleysilo said:
Do you have an idea of how much your water costs? Since you're concerned about the $$$ you might want to do some figuring on what draining and refilling is going to cost.....

Not to say you shouldn't do it, just sayin i know someplaces water cost a lot.
I'm actually worried about this, since draining seems to be the only way to lower my CYA and thus save my pool, because water out here is EXTREMELY expensive. I feel like I'm stuck--drain now and get hit with a HUGE water bill, or continue to dump bleach, which will continue to add up slowly...I wish I had the money, because then I'd just drain and get on with it.

What to do...aye aye aye.

There is another option besides draining. With you living in las Vegas, reverse osmosis could be an option. It's often very pricy, and isn't offered in most areas. If your water prices are high (as I'm sure they are) it may turn out to be cheaper in the long run.

It's a long shot....but one worth looking into.

I checked into R/O & we don't really have that for pools out here. For drinking water yes, pools no. I've ordered a test kit, and in the meantime, started the draining process. I drained off 8" last night & refilled. I'm about to take a new sample into the pool store to see if my CYA went down at all. I tried doing this the "diluted" way--1 part pool, 1 part bottled water, and the pool store people freaked out. They said they've never seen such high alkalinity, (230) and couldn't get an accurate measurement. They said the sample was "too cold." So today, I'm going to try with 1 part pool water, 1 part room temp tap water.

Also, in the meantime while waiting for the test kit, should I be pouring at least some bleach into the pool?

misswho said:
Also, in the meantime while waiting for the test kit, should I be pouring at least some bleach into the pool?
Did you order a TF-100? Dave is pretty fast at shipping. I think since you have to drain anyways, just wait till the kit comes to do anything else. You could put a gallon of bleach in each day, but it is not going to do much for you.

Please realize that doing multiple very small drains will require using more water than one or two larger water changes to get the same effect on CYA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

You've been getting soem good advice. I'm just going to interject that if you have a floater in the pool and it has tablets in it, it's constantly adding CYA to your water. Also I'd just add about 3 ppm FC to your pool each evening until your kit gets there. That's about (1) 96oz jug for a pool the size of yours.

There's no use doing a whole lot more than that until you can test your CYA and get a usable number. Pool stores are notoriously bad at CYA tests. I wouldn't trust them until you can verify it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
misswho said:
Here's what the pool store told me:
-Add 26 oz. of muriatic acid two times, 12 hrs apart
-NO more liquid chlorine, since my salt level is so high
-Recommended calcium chlorine instead

And here's why you should listen to the folks on this forum, instead of the pool stores in the Las Vegas valley: the pool store recommended you use cal-hypo (the calcium chlorine). We have really, really hard water in Las Vegas. Adding more calcium is just not a good idea. Without careful monitoring, it'll lead to scaling.

Oh, and if you are going to bring a diluted sample to the pool store, make sure you dilute it with distilled water. Otherwise, the TA, CH, and chlorimination levels in our tap water will throw the sample off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.