Green pool - Just getting started with BBB

That's OK, the volume will be close enough and going a little higher with FC will be a good thing.

It will be better to go ahead and start once you get the kit. We may want to adjust the pH, before SLAM, but lets wait on the kit before that. Once that is determined, you should start on the SLAM ASAP. If you can do mornings an evenings, that will be more than OK to get this going well. Maybe it will be largely resolved by the time you are off next week. At the very least, you will have made a great start on it.

If it were mine, I would start on it ASAP even if I could just check mornings and evenings. Up to you, but that's just me.

10 day forecast calls for highs in the low 80s the rest of this week and low 70's next week. I guess the higher temps this week might be a point in favor of starting the SLAM asap due to the likelihood the higher temps will accelerate the algae growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to differ a little bit. The beginning stages of the SLAM process are when you can really get a step up on it. The more often you can test and maintain the SLAM level the further ahead of it you will get. The first couple of days your are going to go through a fair amount of bleach.
If I had to SLAM a pool I would start it on a Friday night and clear my schedule for the weekend to baby sit this thing so I could stay ahead of it. Everybody has there own way of doing things. ?

Techman when your kit arrives make sure to run your pump for at least 30 min to mix the water up before you take any tests. If you have the option to run it on recirculate you can do that. If you don't have that option just run it normally.
The tests won't be accurate without mixing the water prior to testing. ?

10 day forecast calls for highs in the low 80s the rest of this week and low 70's next week. I guess the higher temps this week might be a point in favor of starting the SLAM asap due to the likelihood the higher temps will accelerate the algae growth.

I agree, there is no need to wait when you already have Algae starting to grow. Morning and night with your schedule will be fine. Not completely ideal, but you can get it done like that. You'll figure out how much to add to carry you until you get back home. Even if you don't nail it, it will be far better than just letting it grow until the weekend.

Test kit is scheduled to arrive today. Will do my initial test and post results. I am very interested in what my CYA level is.

Due to my schedule the rest of the week and various after work commitments that have come up, I am likely going to wait and start the SLAM process on Friday evening. Then I can devote the entire weekend to it and continue throughout next week as necessary. I do worry about being able to devote enough time if I start right after receiving the kit.

Thanks to all for your feedback during this process!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the goal is to hold algae at bay for now, what FC level will have to be maintained for that to happen ? At a certain level the FC will be to low for that to happen.
OP could dose early morning and by the time he's home from work and with the other commitments he said he has, I'm wondering how much chlorine would be left when he gets home. I'm thinking not a lot. You would have algae consuming it plus the sun consuming it.
And we have no idea where his CYA level is.
Just thinking out loud ! ?

Just had time to do 3 tests so far. PH - 8.2
FC -0
CYA - I filled the tube all the way and the dot never disappeared. What does that usually mean?

May have some more time to test more later.

Means zero cya. Sure you did that one correctly? If so AWESOME you will get serious action out of not much cl. Probably put to bring it up a bit to help protect the cl during the day. Personally I would start the slam then add the cya the next morning giving the cl overnight with no cya interference

What that means is you have no chlorine- bad! Your pH is too high and needs to be brought down a bit with some muriatic acid. You also have no CYA in the pool (which you're going to need some of at least to protect the chlorine from the sun, so it can do its thing and protect you from algae).

The Pool Math link under "Pool School" will tell you how much of these items you need, but you need to know what your goals are first. Have you read Pool School to learn what your Gunite pool needs? Everyone has to figure what their goals are going to be based on their own pool's finish, method of chlorination, sun exposure, etc.

Yippie - I think he has a pretty good handle on things. The folks in the thread were waiting with baited breath expecting a CYA of 100 or more. I think we all knew cl was zero.

Just had time to do 3 tests so far. PH - 8.2
FC -0
CYA - I filled the tube all the way and the dot never disappeared. What does that usually mean?

May have some more time to test more later.

As mentioned above, it means you have no Cya. Not really a bad thing as this is much better than having to reduce it.

Let's take the pH down to 7.4 pH. You may come out at 7.5-7.6, but I always like to shoot for less pH reduction instead of going too far, and making it too low.

Ideally, 7.2-7.3 would be good for the SLAM. Have you used the Pool Math yet? It will tell you precisely what you need, just use care when entering your numbers. Once done, start adding enough Bleach to get you up to 5 PPM FC minimum.

Also, have you purchased any Cya yet? You are going to need about 10 pounds to get you to a good starting point of 40 Cya. You can always add more later, but getting the pH down, and some FC in the pool should be first on the list. If you get some, post back before adding it to the pool, but get started on the pH and first Chlorine addition as soon as is practical.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.