Green pool after SLAMing for 4 days now...not getting better!

We did the bump then open up the drain valve to release all the DE, then replace the DE last week. I was hoping not to have to do it again since we're just trying to close the pool and will need to empty out DE/filter anyway.
Our filter does not have a valve at the return side, so when we open the drain the water form the filter comes out but then I think the water from the return starts emptying out too. And we can't really tell exacctly when this is happening.
Water is definitely blue now, but still can't clearly see the bottom. HOw bad would it be to just close it like this?

Did OCLT 2 nights ago and failed (went from 18-15/16). Flushed/cleaned out filter and replaced DE yesterday (bumped and drained but did not take apart). We really would like to close pool this weekend..it's been almost 2 weeks of trying to get this pool clean just so we can close it. Pool is now blue but still fairly cloudy. I really don't wnat to take apart filter, clean it, put it back together, filter for a couple days, then take apart again. What is the worst that would happen if we close it like this?

Well you failed the OCLT so you have something consuming chlorine.
What's the worst if you don't deal with it now, you'll have to deal with it when you open and it could be worse.
I'd tear the filter down and have a look see inside. That could be a reason you failed the OCLT. Not saying that's it but ..... When was the last time you took it apart ? Look everywhere algae could be. Do you have steps ?
Do you have to close this weekend ? I'd stay with it if it were my pool. ?

With a DE filter you should be backwashing very often. My DE filter will allow me to clear a green mess in 3.5 days and during that time I will backwash a dozen times or so. As mentioned previously you backwash when your pressure rises 25%. For example, if your clean pressure (new DE) is 10, then you backwash at 12.5. When the pressure gets above 12.5 there is very little water moving through your filter and you should notice the difference that there is less water coming out of the returns.

Either you are not backwashing frequently enough or there is something wrong with your filter.

When you say backwash, do you mean bump? I still don't get it when people ask this.
My DE filter says I can either
1. Bump (IE bump the DE off the grid and then start the pump back up but do not clear out the DE)
2. Clean and regenerate...bump the DE off, drain out the used DE, and then put more DE back in
Neither case has me opening up the filter itself

Backwash = Clean and regenerate

On setups with a multiport valve, one setting is "backwash" and it actually runs water through the filter backwards washing the junk out of the filter.

On your filter you should open it up and clean once a year. Since you've been SLAMing I would open it up and see what it looks like inside. It may need a good cleaning. I have the same type of filter only bigger.
I highly doubt that you have a multiport valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh and I don't know if it matters but we use the Fiber Clear Cellulose stuff as thats what came with the pool. I"m down to my last bag of it though, so I might need to go get some more.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is new this year hence why we haven't opened it up yet.

It would help if you put your specific filter model in the signature.

With the Bump type filters, you should bump when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If the pressure does not drop to normal, or rises back up very quickly, then you should drain the DE/cellulose and recharge. And like Jeff said, you should open it up for a good cleaning once a year.

Last night I emptied out the DE/cellulose. Because we don't have a valve at the return side, after the water flows out of filter the return side water "backflushes" the filter. Usually I close the drain right away to prevent losing too much pool water but this time I Let it backwash. Some nasty green stuff came out of the drain (pool is cloudy blue). I closed it, let the filter refill and did it again a few times until no more green. I was thinking of taking the filter apart but it was just about dark out. Replaced DE/cellulose and started back up. I"m currently out of bleach and DE. Luckily tested FC this morning and still at 16. I'm busy tonite so can't take filter apart till tomorrow. Plus need to retsock on the bleach and DE. I guess maybe that green stuff stuck in teh filter is why we haven;t been able to get the pool clear.

Took the filter apart this weekend. Holy Smokes!!! Nasty green stuff plus cellulose stuck up all in the fingers. Gave it a good hard rinse down and got everything out of it. We had a spray from the pool store for the filter so sprayed it down to help clean it, but it didn't seem to do much..just hosing it down with water seemed to be best. The fingers were all green so got them almost all clean. Still a few specks here and there but hoping the chlorine will now kill that stuff off. I remember the pool store guy telling us to be careful when spraying down the fingers and not doing it too hard, but there was no way to get that stuff off without a good hard spray. That was our first time taking the filter apart (new pool this year).I feel a lot more confident now. Let filter now run 1.5 days and pool is looking better. Still cloudy but getting better. Should have done that sooner...live and learn I guess.

Reading between the lines, don't count on a clean filter to clear your pool. You should be slamming the pool exactly per the article which involves chlorine to kill and filtration and vacuuming to clean up.

What are your current test results?

Oh, I'm still SLAMing. Chlorine is ~20. I tried to do another CYA test but the results were higher (~60) than they were pre SLAM and I"ve only used liquid chlorine so I"m guessing the cloudy water is making it seem higher. Didn't bother with OCLT test yet as pool is not clear yet and I'm starting to get low on my chlorine reagents in my test kit. Vacuumed a bunch yesterday and maybe have time tonite to do a bit more. I work all day so I don't always get to brush/vacuum as often as I'd like to.

It is an "urban legend" that cloudy water influences the CYA test.....it doesn't.
\
You are correct in not doing your OCLT until you think you can pass......it is pointless to do it before that.

What was your chlorine before you added to bring it back to 20 ppm?

(order more reagents BEFORE you run out.....they'll be good next year, too.)

Are you doing the CYA test in the recommended light conditions -- outdoors, sunlight at your back, vial at about waist level?

Doing it indoors, for example, even in what seems like decent lighting, tends to give higher results (i.e. you lose sight of the black dot sooner).

There is really very little reason to test CYA, pH, TA or CH during the SLAM.

Your focus should be on keeping your FC at 20 ppm constantly and running your pump 24/7 and brushing and vacuuming as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.