Green Pool after 3-days of SLAM

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
Hi,

I opened our pool for the season 3-days ago to already find a green pool with 50 degree water temperature. I have been SLAMing for 3-days with little to no improvement.

I know I made a mistake initially vacuuming and assuming my sand filter would trap the algae. As soon as I realized it was coming right back out I stopped.

I am thinking either sand change or I have Mustard Algae.

Latest test results:/ (CYA should be closer to 40 now as added some stabilizer thinking that could be the issue)
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 16500 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 13.5 (41 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (41 minutes ago)
pH: 7.6 (19 hours ago)
TA: 60 (19 hours ago)
CH: 125 (2 days ago)
CYA: 30 (2 days ago)
SALT: 2200 (2 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 50° (2 days ago)
CSI: -0.92 (41 minutes ago)
==========================================

Ooooooh, that's quite soupy. It's going to take a bit, try to be patient and consistent with the FC testing. If you believe the CYA is closer to 40, then I'd go ahead and increase the FC to 16 as your SLAM level. Stay the course and follow the SLAM Process page each day for best success. Slowly but surely you should see improvements. If not, let us know.

Retest CYA (get sample up to normal room temperature before testing); knowing your CYA is one of the most important aspects of getting your FC and therefore your SLAM done right the first time.
At 40 CYA, SLAM level FC should be at 16 (20FC if above 40 up to 50)
Continue to run pump on high 24/7
Thoroughly brush pool walls / floor daily or multiple times per day if you have the time.
Once green is gone, you can then focus on clarity.

Post back with updated FC & CYA test.

CYA is closer to 40 than 30 so I am increasing my SLAM level to 16. I was targeting 14 this morning and FC is already down to 12 4-hours after morning dose. I just added more and will check again tonight.

It is also looking a little better now after brushing the walls and vacuuming to waste.

Thanks for all the replies and support.b. I will try and keep up with 3x per day chlorine checks.