Green line on steps

I was thinking maybe it was from sunblock
It was critical to ensure the kids were entirely dry after applying sunblock. It took 15 mins and it felt like an eternity with them pleading otherwise. :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't concerned about the pool as the tennis balls are highly effective. But every bit off the kid is more sunburn or a shorter time until it needs to be reapplied.
may have to purchase 2 tennis balls!
2 each skimmer. My favorite part is occasionally a kid finds one and plays with it in the pool a bit. Once they move onto something else, it finds its way back on its own.
Unfortunately I did not have time to do a OCLT.
You will want to make this a priority in the short future. If the OCLT is an inconvenience, (I get it. I promise), you certainly won't have time for a swamp battle if it's allowed to fester. Clear water SLAMs go easier no matter how bad it is, and you don't want to lose the upper hand in the battle.

Reactions: nickjohn35
And what did you do you rectify this?
Put 2 gallons of Chlorine in. Definitely need to get more since I’m now out. I’m obviously new at this and I’m learning I need to test daily chlorine levels and most likely add chlorine every day depending on levels. With the heat and our pool having 0 shade I know our chlorine will get eaten very quickly. Oh the joys of being a newb!!!

Reactions: Newdude
This happened during swimming. We would wipe it off with a magic eraser and it would could back in about 20 mins or so… No, no other chemicals.
That is NOT a description of algae but rather some substance that (like sunscreen) floated over to the steps and then attached to your pool steps.

I would not be eager to SLAM but rather wipe down that area with a chlorine soaked (full strength) rag and observe the result. I doubt it will come back. I would watch it for 24 hours or so and then SLAM if I failed an OCLT

Quick update. Line has not appeared since post was made. Went swimming yesterday with my son and still no line. Been testing and adding chlorine as shown in logs. Being new to all this I definitely haven’t been keeping up with the chlorine since the first few chlorine tests with the TF-Pro test stayed clear when I put the DPD powder in. The past few tests the water instantly turned pink so I’m making improvements! Now my only concern is I did a OCLT last night and my level when I went to bed was 6.5 ppm. Woke up and tested the water and was at 5 ppm. So I lost 1.5 ppm but I’m at my target of 5 ppm…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you be sure to test after sundown and before or as close to sunup as possible? If so and you still lost 1.5 then it’s a failed OCLT and the next step is a SLAM. Hopefully a short and sweet one

SLAM Process

Reactions: Mdragger88
Did you be sure to test after sundown and before or as close to sunup as possible? If so and you still lost 1.5 then it’s a failed OCLT and the next step is a SLAM. Hopefully a short and sweet one

SLAM Process
Test was done well after sundown. This morning the sun had been rising for about 30 minutes when I grabbed my sample.

I still would not be eager to SLAM just yet. The 30 minutes of daylight could have been enough to modify your test results and testing variations tend to creep in when you are a new tester. I do not believe that green line was algae and, if that's true, it was likely a once n done event.

Keep your FC up at maintenance level and observe the affected area daily. Water in the pool still looks good, right?

I still would not be eager to SLAM just yet. The 30 minutes of daylight could have been enough to modify your test results and testing variations tend to creep in when you are a new tester. I do not believe that green line was algae and, if that's true, it was likely a once n done event.

Keep your FC up at maintenance level and observe the affected area daily. Water in the pool still looks good, right?
Son and I went swimming again today and no green line. Only green line I see is in the skimmer box. But that’s been there since day one. I clean it once a week and that always comes back. Water is crystal clear. I plan to test FC tonight after sun goes down.

Once you are satisfied step line is not returning, post a pic, if you can, of that skimmer line.........Betcha' we can get rid of it. :)
Performed another OLCT. Made sure the test was done without no sunlight whatsoever. Passed. Still no lines, water still crystal clear so I’m feel relieved and happy! Here is a pic of the skimmer box lineBear with me… I haven’t cleaned that line in a week…IMG_0992.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
Performed another OLCT. Made sure the test was done without no sunlight whatsoever. Passed. Still no lines, water still crystal clear so I’m feel relieved and happy! Here is a pic of the skimmer box lineBear with me… I haven’t cleaned that line in a week…View attachment 528106
That looks like sunscreen scum.
I suspect that once you clean that up & keep running higher fc levels (aim for high target 🎯) it won’t accumulate as badly.
Get u a scum bug or tennis ball to help collect oils.
Also, update your signature so we know what all you’re working with Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Got a pic of the front of the skimmer ?

Also, still no tennis balls. :(
Not yet.. only got inside pic. Will be at work all day today so no pic until tomorrow. And I was going to get tennis balls the other day at the store but forgot something in another aisle and then forgot the tennis balls. This time I wrote them on my actual list instead of my head list lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.