Outofbounds

Oct 8, 2013
Gulf Breeze, FL
As I have the past few years, I started seeing stains from the returns on the liner as temps come up. In the past three years I’ve just bought a bottle of vitamin C and stuffed them in a sponge that had a slit cut into it.
This year I bought a bottle of powdered ascorbic acid. Following the instructions, I vacuumed, stopped the pump. Sprinkled the ascorbic acid around then brushed. 24 hours later pool is gorgeous. It stayed that way for about a week.
I took measurements and my chlorine was high ~12 so I shut the swg off for about 4 days. I noticed that the light green was coming back along with the staining on the steps.
I realize I probably need a sequestrant at this point, or am I looking at a pump out and refill?

I did note that I now have combined chloramines whereas I normally don’t. I’m thinking that can be related to the ascorbic acid treatment.

==========================================
Casa De Conwell
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 14500 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 6.0 (15 minutes ago)
CC: 1.0 (15 minutes ago)
pH: 7.4 (15 minutes ago)
TA: 60 (15 minutes ago)
CH: 220 (15 minutes ago)
CYA: 50 (15 minutes ago)
SALT: 3600 (15 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 70° (15 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.81 (15 minutes ago)
==========================================
Test Results 04-12-2023 @ 05:30 PM
Free Chlorine: 6.0
Combined Chlorine: 1.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 60
Calcium Hardness: 220
CYA: 50
Salt: 3600
Temperature: 70°F
CSI: -0.81

The AA is lifting iron stains deposited on the liner and putting them into suspension in the water.

Unless you drain the pool to remove the iron after lifting it from the surface the iron is still in the water and will eventually redeposit on the liner. A sequestrant can hold the iron in suspension until the sequestrant degrades.

The CC may be a sign of algae. Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Do you know how you got iron in your pool water?

Some folks have been successful with filtering out iron by putting polyfill in their skimmer.

The iron likely comes from overspray from Florida well water. The water was fine through the mild winter we have but when the temps started rising the metals started showing up.
I might try the poly fill method first, but a pump and dump is likely my option.

I’ll continue to see if other have ideas as well.
Thanks for the reply

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.