Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello!
I am getting a little frustrated as every time it rains, my pool goes from being clear and blue to green and cloudy in a matter of minutes! I am not sure what I’m doing wrong. Here is an example from today of before the rain and after - I had checked Fc and Ph before rain and they were in target. What do I do to treat and prevent this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4ABA4788-B6DF-46DF-9E0E-A6EBBA6AF23E.jpeg
    4ABA4788-B6DF-46DF-9E0E-A6EBBA6AF23E.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 020C66FD-A77E-4378-8918-CA9099CAC30C.jpeg
    020C66FD-A77E-4378-8918-CA9099CAC30C.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 71
  • C6A2B169-5F35-4160-8814-3CE3E2D53B63.jpeg
    C6A2B169-5F35-4160-8814-3CE3E2D53B63.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 72
+1 on some sort of drainage issue dumping dirty water into your pool.

Also, your salt cell is a bit undersized for your pool size. I'm curious to see your FC amounts and you may have to bump up the % and run time to keep up, especially if you are getting muddy water introduced into the pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
What are your latest test results?
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
Salt
What is this in the pool? Run off or some chemical?
View attachment 511168
Here are the results from just now- still raining. That beige stuff must be run off from the concrete

Fc 3.5
Cc 0.5
Ph 8
Ta 90
Ch 170
Cya 30
Salt 3300

+1 on some sort of drainage issue dumping dirty water into your pool.

Also, your salt cell is a bit undersized for your pool size. I'm curious to see your FC amounts and you may have to bump up the % and run time to keep up, especially if you are getting muddy water introduced into the pool
I agree that it’s undersized - I have it running at 85% 24/7, with pump running at 2000.

I thought it was updated? It is showing on my end!
I think it is the pool volume in Liters in your member profile and gallons on your signature that is confusing.

You must solve the runoff going into the pool You will not solve the water quality issue until you solve the runoff.

That’s run off is definitely not helping you keep clarity. Need to remedy that somehow.
Your cya is quite low for a swcg pool
This might allow your fc to dip too low at times.
IMG_6765.jpegIMG_6766.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never seen this runoff happen before- my husband just happened to capture this in a photo, last year we didn’t have any issues like that and tbh I’m not sure how to solve that. I tried adding more cya earlier when I opened but it didn’t budge. I guess I’ll try and add some more. But what do I do to remedy this now?

I think you have to watch that area closely during the next rain to see what is going on. My guess is it is a drainage issue that is causing some water to runoff into the pool.

To solve it, you may need to add deck drains, fix any grading issues, etc.

I think you have to watch that area closely during the next rain to see what is going on. My guess is it is a drainage issue that is causing some water to runoff into the pool.

To solve it, you may need to add deck drains, fix any grading issues, etc.
I will definitely do that. I don’t see water running off from the deck into the pool, but I’m going to actively watch next time it rains. I’m running the pump 24:7 as it is, should I just add some cya tomorrow and bump up my FC?

Update- pool is still very opaque and there is a lot of dirt. This was a very severe storm and we are at the bottom of a hill so the dirt was probably forced in. I am running the pump and the vacuum to try and clear it up, and I forgot to turn off my SWG last night for the OCLT so I’m just going to SLAM anyway and keep the chlorine at 6 all day today and do OCLT tonight. I will also adjust the PH now since it is high.

Update- pool is still very opaque and there is a lot of dirt. This was a very severe storm and we are at the bottom of a hill so the dirt was probably forced in. I am running the pump and the vacuum to try and clear it up, and I forgot to turn off my SWG last night for the OCLT so I’m just going to SLAM anyway and keep the chlorine at 6 all day today and do OCLT tonight. I will also adjust the PH now since it is high.
Slam level fc for your cya is 12ppm
FC/CYA Levels

It’s been over 12 hours of running the pump, vacuum and the FC is 8. Still can’t see to the bottom
Of the pool. What should I be doing differently??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.