Green Algae present when conversion was started.

LU'S POOL

Aug 15, 2023
new york
WE HAVE A 12.328 GALLON IN GROUND POOL, VINYL LINER. WE ARE ON DAY 3 OF CONVERSION AND SO FAR HAVE USED 19 GALS OF CHLORINE.( first 4gals were 10% rest have been 12} CURRENTLY THE WATER IS GREEN WITH YELLOW SEDIMENT. STILL WORKING ON MAINTAINING THE FC AT 15PPM.
DO WE NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE ALGAE ?

Last edited:
WE HAVE A 12.328 GALLON IN GROUND POOL, VINYL LINER. WE ARE ON DAY 3 OF CONVERSION AND SO FAR HAVE USED 19 GALS OF CHLORINE.( first 4gals were 10% rest have been 12} CURRENTLY THE WATER IS GREEN WITH YELLOW SEDIMENT. STILL WORKING ON MAINTAINING THE FC AT 15PPM.
DO WE NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE ALGAE ?
Not really. The cure for algae is more chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You will likely consume more chlorine because you have 3 things eating it- baqua, algae, & the sun. They all have healthy appetites.
You’re early on sort of - can I ask if you have cdx in the water? If you have recently used it or used alot in the past?

Reactions: Newdude
NEVER USED CDX. I WAS USING SOFT SWIM ALGAECIDE,SANITIZER AND CLARIFIER . A,B AND C. THE POOL COMPANY SAID TO DOUBLE UP ON SANITIZER AND ALGAECIDE .DID NOT WORK AT ALL!!!!!! IS THE YELLOW SEDIMENT I AM GETTING NOW DURING THE CONVERSION NORMAL?

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s great about the cdx 👍🏻 I asked because it is better to exchange a hefty amount of water if cdx is in the picture.
If there’s alot of baqua sanitizer in the water this may warrant an exchange as well to avoid plowing through so much chlorine. Water is typically cheaper than liquid chlorine (or other forms of chlorine). So you may consider an exchange before proceeding further to get the level down & this will also dilute the organics in the pool.
The no drain water exchange is the safest option Section 3.5👇

Lots of weird colors & “goo” are produced during a conversion. The sediment may be dead algae but in a weird color? I would vac that to waste if possible.
At any rate the prescription for ridding yourself of both baqua & algae is more chlorine. While you should be dosing during the day & night (as often as possible) - Try to get multiple doses in after the sun goes down/before the sun comes up to help get a leg up in the fight so then you’re just fighting the algae & baqua.

Reactions: Bperry
That’s great about the cdx 👍🏻 I asked because it is better to exchange a hefty amount of water if cdx is in the picture.
If there’s alot of baqua sanitizer in the water this may warrant an exchange as well to avoid plowing through so much chlorine. Water is typically cheaper than liquid chlorine (or other forms of chlorine). So you may consider an exchange before proceeding further to get the level down & this will also dilute the organics in the pool.
The no drain water exchange is the safest option Section 3.5👇

Lots of weird colors & “goo” are produced during a conversion. The sediment may be dead algae but in a weird color? I would vac that to waste if possible.
At any rate the prescription for ridding yourself of both baqua & algae is more chlorine. While you should be dosing during the day & night (as often as possible) - Try to get multiple doses in after the sun goes down/before the sun comes up to help get a leg up in the fight so then you’re just fighting the algae & baqua.
I have had to add water to keep level in skimmer up for backwash.Will see how it goes next few days. I have a well and it cost $700.00 to fill the first time by water tanker.:unsure:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.