SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi all, I’m working on getting my cya up and have added stabilizer to a nylon in front of a return.
It’s now been 6 hours and I’ve been squishing it every hour or so and it’s not dissolving and when I squish it no white cloud (best way I can describe it) of product is coming from the sock, usually when I squish it a bunch of dissolved product floods out from the sock. Nothing this time. Does this product expire? I even tried dissolving a cup of it in hot water and it’s not dissolving with me agitating it every so often 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 18
Huh, not my experience with the same brand. 30 minutes in a fine-mesh zippered laundry bag (my take on a "sock"), in the skimmer, and it's cloud city. If I'm ambitious, I can squeeze it all out in about 10 minutes. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll squeeze for a while, then let it soak another 30 minutes, then squeeze the rest out. Dissolves very fast. If I don't squeeze at all, it takes forever to dissolve.

I don't put CYA directly in the pool anymore (after a nasty staining accident with liquid CYA). Always and only in the skimmer.

Based on your description, I'd say there was something defective. Hopefully it'll still give you some CYA. I buy mine on Amazon, and would have returned it had that happened to me. Maybe it was just old? I have had good luck returning things to Amazon, but I have also had bad luck buying fresh pool chemicals and test reagents (especially reagents). You can expect some things to show up half-way expired. Just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Stephs2125
Huh, not my experience with the same brand. 30 minutes in a fine-mesh zippered laundry bag (my take on a "sock"), in the skimmer, and it's cloud city. If I'm ambitious, I can squeeze it all out in about 10 minutes. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll squeeze for a while, then let it soak another 30 minutes, then squeeze the rest out. Dissolves very fast. If I don't squeeze at all, it takes forever to dissolve.

I don't put CYA directly in the pool anymore (after a nasty staining accident with liquid CYA). Always and only in the skimmer.

Based on your description, I'd say there was something defective. Hopefully it'll still give you some CYA. I buy mine on Amazon, and would have returned it had that happened to me. Maybe it was just old? I have had good luck returning things to Amazon, but I have also had bad luck buying fresh pool chemicals and test reagents (especially reagents). You can expect some things to show up half-way expired. Just the nature of the beast.
That’s normally my experience as well. First time I’ve ever had this happen. I also buy it from Amazon. I’ll give it a full 24 hr and if it still hasn’t dissolved I’ll send a note to Amazon and see about a replacement.
Thanks!

Reactions: Dirk
OK, now I know what you're talking about! I just opened a "new" bag of that same brand. I've had it quite a while, sort'a my "stock on hand," so I can't return it to Amazon. Half a day later and about half dissolved and the other half didn't. No amount of squeezing speeds up the process. This was either a large defective batch, or this is their "new and improved" product, which sucks. Now, instead of 30-60 minutes of squeezing every 15 minutes or so, it's turned into an overnight pump run and chore. I'd say I'll try a different brand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all made in the same factory. I'll check in the morning (pump running all night) and see what's what and report back. Bummer, 'cause this used to be a relatively simple thing to do. Errg.

Reactions: Stephs2125
I bought 4 bags from the same pallet and 3 if them were difficult to squish a full day later and one was mush within minutes. The bags were well sealed so I don't think humidity was involved bricking the bad ones.

In the end, it took 5 mins to for my thoughts to move along once the bad bags did dissolve. 🤷‍♂️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Leslie’s granular conditioner for the first time this year, which is labeled as 100% CYA. I hung it in socks for several days and couldn’t get it to dissolve, even with lots of squeezing. I finally added it to a bucket of hot water and stirred, then let it sit, and stirred again. Repeated the process over several hours and finally got it dissolve enough to add to the pool, but there were still granules that didn’t dissolve. That’s what I have to do every thing I use this stuff. I’ll be going back to liquid once I use the granules up. It’s so much easier and I know how much to use to hit my target. I’ve struggled with the granules to hit the target based on dosage instructions.

I used Leslie’s granular conditioner for the first time this year, which is labeled as 100% CYA. I hung it in socks for several days and couldn’t get it to dissolve, even with lots of squeezing. I finally added it to a bucket of hot water and stirred, then let it sit, and stirred again. Repeated the process over several hours and finally got it dissolve enough to add to the pool, but there were still granules that didn’t dissolve. That’s what I have to do every thing I use this stuff. I’ll be going back to liquid once I use the granules up. It’s so much easier and I know how much to use to hit my target. I’ve struggled with the granules to hit the target based on dosage instructions.
I've yet to meet an op that had luck using a partial jug unless it get mixed very well and poured off immediately OR is there some trick you can share.

I've yet to meet an op that had luck using a partial jug unless it get mixed very well and poured off immediately OR is there some trick you can share.
I assume you’re referring to the liquid. As you say, I don’t use partial jugs, only the full thing. I usually only have to add CYA once or twice a year, so I don’t mind paying more for the liquid. It’s just more convenient for me and I only buy the amount that I need at the time.

I'll never use "liquid" CYA again. As has been pointed out, it's very difficult (I'll say "impossible") to keep it well mixed. And I'll never hang a sock in my pool, either. My CYA is granular, and only gets added, in a sock, in the skimmer.

My first, and last, use of "liquid" CYA was to dose a fresh fill after having my pool resurfaced with pebble. I was carefully expressing the liquid around the pool, and could feel when the jug was almost empty. So I turned it over to dump in the last bit. But that last bit was all the CYA sludge clumped at the bottom. The clump dumped, and promptly sank to the bottom. I ran to get my pool brush to mix it in, but was too late. In those 20 seconds to grab the brush, the clump of CYA burned my brand new finish and the stain is still there, years later.

So beware "liquid" CYA. And errant granules from the "solid" stuff. Neither will ever go directly into my pool again.

In those 20 seconds to grab the brush, the clump of CYA burned my brand new finish and the stain is still there, years later.
Ouch! Yes, the bottom of the jug can be pretty thick. I always make sure to thin it out as I get to the lower part of the jug. Interestingly, the last time I added the granules, I got impatient with the time it was taking to dissolve and dumped in the remainder which contained some undissolved granules. As I was brushing them into the drain, I thought I noticed a little discoloration where some had settled, but it was just the late evening light and shadows playing a trick on my eyes. If I could get the sock method to work, I’d be fine with granules, but they just don’t dissolve. Maybe it’s the brand I’m using. I pour the liquid very slowly into the skimmer. I know that some people advise against that, but it has worked for me for 15 years with no ill effects.

Ouch! Yes, the bottom of the jug can be pretty thick. I always make sure to thin it out as I get to the lower part of the jug. Interestingly, the last time I added the granules, I got impatient with the time it was taking to dissolve and dumped in the remainder which contained some undissolved granules. As I was brushing them into the drain, I thought I noticed a little discoloration where some had settled, but it was just the late evening light and shadows playing a trick on my eyes. If I could get the sock method to work, I’d be fine with granules, but they just don’t dissolve. Maybe it’s the brand I’m using. I pour the liquid very slowly into the skimmer. I know that some people advise against that, but it has worked for me for 15 years with no ill effects.
Nothing wrong in doing what works for you. I was just pointing out the potential problem(s) with liquid CYA, primarily for others that might read these posts. Yes, the granules take longer, and some batches even longer than that, apparently, but that's still fine by me. It's a "slow release" of acid into my pool and plumbing and filter, and I think that's a good thing.

This morning, all but a few tablespoons of granules had dissolved. It's probably done by now. As 'dude pointed out, I've already forgotten what I was complaining about yesterday.

For me, a liquid that (1) has the potential to destroy a pool finish, and (2) adds a variable amount of CYA to the pool depending on how fast you pour, or how well you shake, or how much is left in the container, is not a reliable, repeatable chemical treatment in my book...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.