Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,
I haven't found much with searching for granite countertop or any countertops recommendations for a swim up bar. Currently, we have a sunken deck planned for next to our shallow end with the plan to have a large granite countertop installed instead of stone coping. We plan on overhanging the pool side by about 4 inches and the deck side by approx 13" with the pool wall being 13" already. The length is approx 10 feet so roughly 25 sq ft of counter.

Is granite the best option for this type of countertop or is there a better stone (quartz, silestone, etc)? Is granite a stone that needs sealing to prevent staining from either drink spills or the pool water (SWG)?

Can anyone provide any insight or experience on this? Thanks in advance.

I would only go with a solid piece of quartz. Granite is not the greatest material to be in contact with pool water. Also, make sure all sides of the bond beam of the pool in contact with the stone counter are sealed with an appropriate waterproofing sealant.

Last edited:
If you shop materials and to make sure staying apples to apples with the sales folks, quartz and silestone are ground quartz and resin products. Not UV resistant and are recommended to stay away from UV, as will yellow. Quartzite is the natural stone in "quartz", is pool water safe, UV safe, and would be acceptable if going quartz.

This is a thread for @mcleod if ever there was one!

And what about polished concrete?

Polished concrete could be done but it would need to be sealed. The problem with any stone material is that it needs to be as impervious to water penetration as possible. Quartzite is natural resistant to moisture, other materials need to be sealed. So it’s a matter of upfront cost versus long term maintenance.

Reactions: Dirk
@JoyfulNoise Agree!! Quartzite is the best used outdoor kitchen material there is for those reasons. Plus, it looks amazing!! Indoor, I've had granite and marble, but this time went with quartz (the manufactured stuff), and as for care, it is far superior. Nothing can stain it.

Just because this can be a little confusing Quartz as in the manmade material would NOT be a good choice because it will yellow in sunlight (may be ok if using a dark one) but it is non-porous and does not require sealing. We have it inside our house it is awesome. Quartzite is a natural product with very similar properties to granite. It will be porous and require sealing but both should be UV resistant.

Hi All,
I haven't found much with searching for granite countertop or any countertops recommendations for a swim up bar. Currently, we have a sunken deck planned for next to our shallow end with the plan to have a large granite countertop installed instead of stone coping. We plan on overhanging the pool side by about 4 inches and the deck side by approx 13" with the pool wall being 13" already. The length is approx 10 feet so roughly 25 sq ft of counter.

Is granite the best option for this type of countertop or is there a better stone (quartz, silestone, etc)? Is granite a stone that needs sealing to prevent staining from either drink spills or the pool water (SWG)?

Can anyone provide any insight or experience on this? Thanks in advance.
Here's my two cents worth( @Dirk, @JoyfulNoise)
  1. The first question I would ask is to how much maintenance are you willing to commit? If you want to Set it and Forget it will lead you down one path. If you are willing for some periodic maintenance is another path.
  2. What is the aesthetic impact you seek? Granite is hard, can fade over time from sunlight, and can experience pitting. Quartzite, a natural stone, is found in shades of white and grey; it also contains iron oxide which would lead to a rusting if the top were to be subject to air and water. Quartz, being man made, has a broader palette of color derived from pigments added in the engineering. The use of binders and epoxies would makes quartz non-porous. @Mcow is right about the yellowing of epoxy (it moves towards amber over time). You could choose a color that would incorporate that color change or inquire if they use some of the UV resistant epoxies in the manufacturing.
  3. How do you chemically treat your pool? Quartzite reacts to acids, granite does not, nor does quartz. I suspect over time one would expect the constant interaction with water, chemicals, ultra-violet light to impact any stone. Grand Canyon is a good example.
Hope this helps. Likely the stone will outlive you. McLeod

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.