Got started, fixed algae overnight

You need either a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit or the TFTestkits salt test ( TF Salt Bundle )

Once you know the salt level of your present pool water, add enough salt to get to about 2800-3000 ppm salt. Use PoolMath to determine how much salt to add.
After the salt is added, brush in until it's dissolved. Run the pump for 24 hours after all the salt is dissolved and test the salt again. If in range, fire up the SWG.

You can work on raising the CYA at any time - now or later. Starting the SWG is not dependent on having the CYA at 70.

Use liquid chlorine to keep the FC within the target range as recommended in the FC/CYA Levels.

Last edited:
Everything @proavia said + do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before raising cya.
Raise salt 🧂 & cya in stages as to not overshoot your target 🎯
Add 3/4 of what
PoolMath says- let it circulate at least 24 hours, test again then add the remainder that’s needed.

Added enough to reach about 2600 ppm. More questions. My Circupool RJ45+ manual says CYA target range is 30-50ppm, FC
1-3ppm. I'm assuming it's safe to ignore these and go with TFP levels? It also says Phosphates and Nitrates should be 0. Now, an earlier pool store test had indicated 600ppb Phosphates, and I've been ignoring it per TFP recommendation. Should I attempt to treat phosphates? Also, is the chlorinator useful only above a certain pool water temp? I've bypassed the solar heater because no one uses the pool much but I can bring it back online.

Last edited:
Follow TFP reccomend levels and ignore the rest.

SWGs shut off in the neighborhood of 60 degree water. As with any temp probe/ thermometer it may be off by a couple degrees.

Reactions: HermanTX
I did the OCLT. 7ppm Sunday night, 6.5ppm Monday morning. All good.
Then I test again Tue evening and the FC has dropped to 3ppm! Probably because CYA also dropped to 40 (from 60 tested 7 days ago). The only change made was the addition of 320lb of salt on Sunday afternoon. Could that have impacted CYA negatively?

I did the OCLT. 7ppm Sunday night, 6.5ppm Monday morning. All good.
Then I test again Tue evening and the FC has dropped to 3ppm! Probably because CYA also dropped to 40 (from 60 tested 7 days ago). The only change made was the addition of 320lb of salt on Sunday afternoon. Could that have impacted CYA negatively?
Pools consume FC on a daily basis. 6.5 - 3ppm = 3.5. 3.5 / 2 days = 1.75 per day. Completely normal for this time of year in California.

Something is not right with your CYA testing. Not possible for CYA to drop from 60 to 40 in 7 days. Something is off.

Redone test is the same. Almost to the 40 line. Since 'novices tend to get higher than actual results', I rounded this down to 40 instead of up to 50. I WAS being a little less careful earlier. Not shaking it for 30 seconds. Letting it sit longer than 30 secs before pouring, etc. So, I trust this number more.

Reactions: Newdude
Redone test is the same. Almost to the 40 line. Since 'novices tend to get higher than actual results', I rounded this down to 40 instead of up to 50. I WAS being a little less careful earlier. Not shaking it for 30 seconds. Letting it sit longer than 30 secs before pouring, etc. So, I trust this number more.
Anywhere between 40 & 50 counts as 50

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’ll go easier as well if you just fill the tube up to the 30 line and then check if you can see the dot. If you can, then fill it up to the next line and check again. When the dot disappears, you are done. No more messing around with drops and figuring out how close to the line it is.

Reactions: gaajar35
I do a mix of both ways & determine what I feel confident in by glancing.
You can pour the mixture back into the little squirt bottle & re perform the last part of the test as many times as you need to. I normally do it about 3 times.

Reactions: gaajar35
I'm so thankful for all the insightful help. This has to be one of the most positive forums out there!
If you found value, you might consider a donation to keep the lights on...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Tested the salinity at 3800PPM. Got the cell connected and the 'instant salinity' on the cell is showing around 3600. I presume test is more accurate. CYA still at 40. Added enough LC to get FC to 5. Please check my math on how long to run it for at what % level. RJ45+ adds 0.57ppm/hr at 100% (for my pool size according to poolmath). I'm losing about 2ppm/day (likely slightly less due to time of day testing differences in the past). To reach equilibrium and run RJ45+ below 50% as recommended by TFP, I need to run it at 50% for 7 hours. Sound right?

You need 4 hours at 100%, or any equivalent maths, such as 8 hours at 50%. Maybe it will only need 7, but aim a skootch high. There is tons of leeway above target range, all the way to SLAM. There is very little leeway below target range.
run RJ45+ below 50% as recommended by TFP
No such reccomendation exists. We rec 2X (or more) units so that you don't have to run the pump 24/7 if you don't want to. Plus, a 1X unit may not produce enough in the peak season of hot summers, making you supplement with LC. Then it will reach end of life twice as fast from all the runtime.

Or resident expert @JoyfulNoise suggests not running it at 100% if you don't have to, as it may harm the plates in the long term. Run it any other % you wish be it 80 or 90, or 50. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.