New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm putting this here only because I have an AG pool. Our last pool was bought from a different local pool store and never received such a proposal. It is a form letter that is sent out to all their customers. I'm not using this service but just putting it here since this is my first time seeing something like this.

I am a little shocked in how much they are charging for both and how little they do for each. I do understand that some people can't do it and require help but makes me wonder how many people think pool opening and closings are a big deal. My dealer is charging $290 to open and close the pool which in itself is not too bad if you can't do it, at almost 64 YO I am still able to do it but may not be able in the future. But they have a list of things the pool owner needs in order to open the pool, which a person may or may not be able to do.

So the pool needs to be filled enough for them to start the filter on startup - to me that is part of the startup because you can't run the filter or add chemicals without the filter running. I always fill the pool with the winter cover on to float it up and it makes the cover easier to take off but someone using this service may not want to touch the pool until it's opened. They don't say anything about reinstalling all the piping to the filter that should be taken off for winter, heck I took all the orings off to make sure they don't get messed up and plan on lubing them when reinstalling. Cover will be folded (are they going to let it dry? Probably not!) but the pool owner needs to put it away. I look at it as it will take an able bodied person exactly 5 minutes to put it away for the customer. They will put shock and algaecide in but not balance the water ...

They have a summer maintenance package that is super high priced for what they are giving for 15 weeks of once a week of service. They'll come out once a week and check and add chemicals for 1 price or vacuum, skim the pool, empty the skimmer(s) & pump basket, clean the waterline surfaces and backwash filter for a 2nd higher price. Since I'm new to a SWG I'm hoping that as easy as it was adding bleach every couple of days it becomes easier. But I do know (as well as everyone here) a pool needs more than a once a week look over.

I guess knowing the proper water routine makes me scratch my head on this. I know they are a business and need to make a profit but why not give a person a great experience vs a possible problematic one.

why not give a person a great experience vs a possible problematic one.
They simply can't get it right once a week without a SWG. And the pool owner won't want to pay for every other day service. So folks hop from service to service expecting something different.

That's a steal for opening/closing. I didn't hear the full amount when I asked the looploc dealer. I spit up when it started with 'seven hun'. It might have been 774 or 732. I dunno. :ROFLMAO:

They simply can't get it right once a week without a SWG. And the pool owner won't want to pay for every other day service. So folks hop from service to service expecting something different.

That's a steal for opening/closing. I didn't hear the full amount when I asked the looploc dealer. I spit up when it started with 'seven hun'. It might have been 774 or 732. I dunno. :ROFLMAO:
Looks like my dealer charges $380 to open and close a 18x40 IG pool. again I think it's reasonable. The only issues I have is the pool owner needs to have the pool filled and everything "ready" for them ... I will assume if you need this service you may not really know what they will need. When it gets to the point my wife and I can't handle the pool maintenance I will have to rely on my sons or get rid of the pool; more likely we will sell this house as we won't be able to keep up with it.

to have the pool filled and everything "ready" for them
Time is money and they can't wait for a 200 ft garden hose with sucky pressure to fill the pool. Or hunt down all the equipment pieces/parts stored in the shed.

I'm sure they would if the situation warranted it, and the owner was willing to pay accordingly.

Reactions: JamesW
I guess knowing the proper water routine makes me scratch my head on this.

DING DING DING DING DING 🛎️🛎️🛎

Winner Winner, chicken dinner …

Exactly that. You know your pool so to you it’s a cinch. The vast majority of homeowners that have pools or build have NO CLUE what any of it does other than there’s an on/off switch somewhere to make the pump run and there’s a dial somewhere to turn up the heater temperature. That’s the extent of their knowledge. So the thought of opening and closing a pool … YGTBFKM as the millennials like to say.

• Haha
Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Time is money and they can't wait for a 200 ft garden hose with sucky pressure to fill the pool. Or hunt down all the equipment pieces/parts stored in the shed.

I'm sure they would if the situation warranted it, and the owner was willing to pay accordingly.
I totally understand and agree! But "what do I do now that the pool in "opened"" comes into play!

Reactions: Newdude
DING DING DING DING DING 🛎️🛎️🛎

Winner Winner, chicken dinner …

Exactly that. You know your pool so to you it’s a cinch. The vast majority of homeowners that have pools or build have NO CLUE what any of it does other than there’s an on/off switch somewhere to make the pump run and there’s a dial somewhere to turn up the heater temperature. That’s the extent of their knowledge. So the thought of opening and closing a pool … YGTBFKM as the millennials like to say.
Yeah, my post was more of a rant I guess. There are different levels of expertise that are needed in life and some knowledge can be helpful. Unlike working on a car, which I don't do, pool water is easy. I also do understand there is a segment of the population that needs this service. Unfortunately, it seems to fall short for those who need the service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.