Good day, from South Florida.

Logan005

Jul 29, 2021
South Florida
We purchased our pool and hot tub Riverfront home almost 9 years ago. We had them renovated with glass tile around the waterline of the pool and the entire raised hot tub with "edge water" that allows you to overflow the hot tub into the pool We have a Hayward aqua control system with two pumps, 2hp blower and a Jandy gas heater for the hot tub that replaced the original Hayward heater.. The raised hot tub's tile has shattered under the summer sun. along with huge salt calcium build up and tiles falling into the pool. In only 8 years it has just fallen apart, still usable but not attractive at all. we are at the point we need to have the hot tub part redone. something that will stand up to the South Florida sun. We hardly use the pool in the summer due to it overheating, some summers going up as high as 94 deg. I have added sun sails this winter with about 90% cover but the water is already up to 78deg. is is only going up. Ideally we would like to keep the pool water 75 to 76 deg, to contrast with the hot tub set to 104 deg. I have seen the ad's for pool heat pumps and chillers, Ideally we would want a heat pump that cools the pool by transferring the heat into the hot tub. and only discard cold or heat into the air when one set limit is reached. but I don't see anything like this on the market. My gas heater works great for about $50 to 60 bucks worth of NG per month. is my only real option to add a chiller to my pool side and just keep heating the hot tub side with the Jandy? is there no dual heat pump available? I hope someone knows more so we can make better decisions for the renovation. Best regards Logan..

Have you tried a fountain? It cools by evaporation and works great for me here in Georgia-
(See Skippy's fountain Link in my Signature)

It may not be enough to cool a FL pool....but then again, its cheap and costs nothing to run. Do you have a return you ca attach it on to? It cools best when run overnight.

Maddie :flower:

We purchased our pool and hot tub Riverfront home almost 9 years ago. We had them renovated with glass tile around the waterline of the pool and the entire raised hot tub with "edge water" that allows you to overflow the hot tub into the pool We have a Hayward aqua control system with two pumps, 2hp blower and a Jandy gas heater for the hot tub that replaced the original Hayward heater.. The raised hot tub's tile has shattered under the summer sun. along with huge salt calcium build up and tiles falling into the pool. In only 8 years it has just fallen apart, still usable but not attractive at all. we are at the point we need to have the hot tub part redone. something that will stand up to the South Florida sun. We hardly use the pool in the summer due to it overheating, some summers going up as high as 94 deg. I have added sun sails this winter with about 90% cover but the water is already up to 78deg. is is only going up. Ideally we would like to keep the pool water 75 to 76 deg, to contrast with the hot tub set to 104 deg. I have seen the ad's for pool heat pumps and chillers, Ideally we would want a heat pump that cools the pool by transferring the heat into the hot tub. and only discard cold or heat into the air when one set limit is reached. but I don't see anything like this on the market. My gas heater works great for about $50 to 60 bucks worth of NG per month. is my only real option to add a chiller to my pool side and just keep heating the hot tub side with the Jandy? is there no dual heat pump available? I hope someone knows more so we can make better decisions for the renovation. Best regards Logan..
I have no experience with heat pumps, so others will have to chime in.

We have a lot of chillers on our routes. Glacier brand. They technically work, but we hate the maintenance on them.

I second Maddie's suggestion. If you can add a neat feature, you'll have some visual candy with a purpose!

We had an AquaCool heat pump that was also a chiller (in Orlando). However, we never had to use the chiller part. Water never got above 90F. We had a screen enclosure, so that probably helped a lot.

I have not seen a product with what you are asking to do. Most of the chiller heat pumps reject their heat to the outside air. I have seen a house air conditioner that rejects it's heat to pool water to help warm up pools in northern climates. It was actually a "This Old House" episode: How to Heat a Swimming Pool with an Air Conditioner

Looks like they were using a unit from this company: Heat Recovery Pool Heater | Compare To Solar Pool Heater | HotSpot Energy LLC

I am sure this could be modified for your use. Also, maybe use some of that South Florida air conditioning to also heat up the hot tub!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.