Gonna need a new liner soon .....

swilk

Jul 23, 2011
Southwest Indiana
Pool was put in in late 2013 and the liner already looks terrible. Very faded. I use a SWG so continued high chlorine count is not a real problem but it is what the installer blamed for the rapid fading.

My pool does have the unique quality of consuming CYA each year. I have never, not once, drained the water from the pool and over the course of a summer dont really add a lot to it but I consume about 12lbs of CYA each summer. Just added 4lbs to it last week to bring it back up to 60 or so.

Anyway, I currently have the tan sierra/gold pebble liner and love the way it looks when new but unless I am just doing something drastically wrong that led to its rapid fading I would like to look at other options.

Are there liners on the market that are more resistant to fading? Thats probably the million dollar question isnt it.

I do have a tf100 test kit and try my best to keep on up things.

Liner isnt leaking so im not in a hurry .... might try and get another year or two out of the existing one. Just want to start researching now.

No auto fill.

I live in farm country. There is an ag field within 30 yards of the pool.

Percentage the SWG runs greatly depends on water temp .... now that summer is here and the pool is constantly in the upper 80's I run the pump 24 hours a day and right now the SWG is at 35%.

I try to keep the FC 3-5ppm. With a SWG it is an inexact science. If the pool is open all day and the kids are swimming and the dog is in and out .... I need to run a 24 hour "super chlorinate" during which Im sure the actual PPM varies but still should go over 10PPM at any time.

When the CYA level starts dropping the quickest warning sign is the SWG needs to be kicked up to keep the FC up. It took me a little while to figure that one out because everything I read said the only way to get rid of CYA was to drain and fill the pool ... I wasnt checking it throughout the year. Well, not sure if everything I read was just wrong or if my pool defies the laws of science but my pool does, in fact, consume CYA. Now I check it several times a year.

Some of the fertilizers used could be blowing into your pool, causing the CYA to drop. That would also increase your chlorine demand. Do you keep the pool covered when not in use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.