Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Been TFP’ing for 2 months now. Pool gets pretty much zero shade from the Houston sun. I’m definitely noticing the change in seasons. I’m dumping nearly a gallon a day (today 14 cups), up from less than half that amount several weeks ago. I measure and dose at night. My CYA is 50 so target FC is 6-8 and minimum is 4. Using Pool Math, I had been inputting 7ppm as my target to calculate bleach amount to add. I’ve now had to raise that to 10 so that when I measure FC the next evening it’s still around 5ish and hopefully no lower than 4. I can see that in another 6 weeks in the height of summer, I’m gonna have to tell Pool Math my target is 12 or 13 so that FC doesn’t fall too low for the following day. That means even MOOORE bleach. Man!

So, does losing 5-8 ppm FC in Houston in spring and into summer with a zero shaded pool sound right?

FYI I’m using (allegedly) 12.5% from pinch a penny.

I’m using (allegedly) 12.5% from pinch a penny
Do you test after adding to verify you reached your target ? If so you know the bleach is good (or not). You may only be adding a couple FC and losing the 2 or 3.

If the bleach is good and you see an unexpected FC loss, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Watch the FC closely in the meantime to ensure you steer clear of minimum.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and AK-
So, does losing 5-8 ppm FC in Houston in spring and into summer with a zero shaded pool sound right?
Hi neighbor! I'm losing around 3.5 FC per day right now. Do an OCLT and see if there's something consuming your chlorine.

Have you thought about a SWG? Makes life much easier.

2100hrs
FC 4
CC 0
Added 110 oz of 12.25%

2245hrs
FC 10
CC 0

I’ll take another reading tomorrow before sun up.

Again, this pool gets no shade at all…

Definitely thinking SWG already after 2 months of bleaching :)

Was the cya of 50 tested recently? It can degrade some over time with high uv. Maybe recheck & add a scootch more get in 55-60 range for the peak season (dose as if u have 60 since we always round up). Folks with high uv exposure often have to run cya a little higher especially in the middle of the season.

OK so now that we know you don't have an algae outbreak on the horizon, we have some time to figure out the FC loss (which you'll closely monitor in the meantime). This is the key with the OCLT. If it was organics growing in your pool you would SLAM right away with the upper hand. Now, with passing, we have some time to tinker while not losing any ground. Anytime you suspect anything growing, or unusual FC loss, BOOM. OCLT. Don't come and ask, just do. We still need stuff to do, and enjoy company, so come chat about the weather and why you OCLT'd while we all wait for the results with you.

As much as I love SWGs, it won't help the high loss. It will add as much as it can for you, which don't get me wrong, is awesomesauce. But your pool doesn't know how you are adding chlorine and it will be hungry either way.

Let's revisit your CYA test to make sure its 50. Mix the solution and the 50/50 squirter bottle mix well and hold the googley eye tube at your belt buckle with the sun to your back. Fill only to the 10s and glance. And i mean a lightning fast glance. If you look more than 1/100 th of a second, your brain will find the googely eye. Wanna see your brain play tricks on you ? Look for your nose. It's been there this whole time, for at least a week. :ROFLMAO:

Also, you can suck the test water back up and retest over and over untill you get 2 out of 3 that agree

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Salt water is the way to got. You still test regularly, but no more bleach. If its a little low just crank up the generator a touch... Easy peasy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes -thats the one I usually use.
it may be closer to $20 at Walmart - lowes seems to have higher prices on pool stuff.
Use the sock method 🧦

Reactions: newdude
Ok team....I'm back 2 months later. I raised CYA to about 60 (losing the dot between 50 and 60). FC loss got much better, for sure. I could definitely tell that the additional 30 ppm (raised from 30-60ppm) made a big difference, losing maybe 3-3.5ish a day. In the past week or more, I have been losing much more FC during the day. I'm boosting it to 11ppm at night, next night it's around 5. So I'm losing 6ish ppm per day. I'm dumping nearly a gallon of 12.25% (yes, likely a bit lower in reality). I have:
  • verified bleach isn't bunk by adding pool math suggested volume of LC to reach 11 ppm, then measuring an hour later. It's within 0.5 ppm of target.
  • Performed OCLT. Lost 0.5 - 1 ppm only. 0 CC. (CC is always 0 every time I measure it, btw)
  • Confirmed CYA is 60 and has not drifted down.

Granted, it has been hot AF here in Houston lately. The pool gets NO SHADE. Direct line of sight from pool to burning ball of hydrogen in the sky from sun up till about 6. What am I missing here, folks? One thought I had....

I read a previous post mentioning a "side effect" of a pool cover: while it does reduce FC loss by reducing UV impact, this is somewhat offset by the fact that FC is consumed by contact of the pool cover with the water. Basically, FC is sanitizing the cover all day, so you get a bit of FC loss due to that. Now, I am not looking to get a cover, but.....I do have several pool tubes, noodles, other plastic toy Crud floating in my pool 24/7. Can this be hurting me? Seems like we bought a bunch of new floating pool paraphernalia about a couple weeks ago. Wondering if I am losing a couple ppm FC as a result. Is this possible? If not, what's the deal! :) I keep my pool very very clean. No trees littering debris. I net and empty skimmer daily. Usually not much to clean up. Cartridges cleaned in March.

Attachments

• 2BE0B364-14CA-4202-86EA-F439EAEB485E.jpeg
    2BE0B364-14CA-4202-86EA-F439EAEB485E.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 12
NAH, not a cover issue. I'm Ohio. With cover off, sun and swimmers, I can lose up to 5.5 per day. I'm not surprised with a loss of 6ppm in Texas. Others may argue, but I think you are ok, just have a huge demand.

I have a cover. I use it. With cover on, 80-90 degree days, I lose 1.1ppm consistently. I have TONS of organic debris. So the cover will not "consume" FC. I would get one without hesitation (you might not want one, they are a hassle). I can handle the hassle to extend the life of my SWCG. I was liquid chlorine last year and would still give the same answer.

Just wait for July and August!

Reactions: IceShadow
Interesting. All I seem to read here in TFP is 3-4 ppm loss per day. If I’m losing 6 now and it’s just barely June…dude. I’ll easily be dumping a gallon, maybe more per day. That’s about $4.50 a day or $135 a month. Uhhhhhh. What????

Even if I got a swg, pool math says a Hayward T-15 would need to run at 85% 24/7 to produce 8ppm.

Am I missing something. Seems like a lot of bleach to burn through on a medium sized pool. Help! :)

NAH, not a cover issue. I'm Ohio. With cover off, sun and swimmers, I can lose up to 5.5 per day. I'm not surprised with a loss of 6ppm in Texas. Others may argue, but I think you are ok, just have a huge demand.

I have a cover. I use it. With cover on, 80-90 degree days, I lose 1.1ppm consistently. I have TONS of organic debris. So the cover will not "consume" FC. I would get one without hesitation (you might not want one, they are a hassle). I can handle the hassle to extend the life of my SWCG. I was liquid chlorine last year and would still give the same answer.

Just wait for July and August!
@PoolStored you mentioned in your initial post that 3-4 seems more normal. Scroll to the top. Curious why you’re suggesting 5-6 may be normal and could get worse in July/August. Thanks!!

I'm in Ohio (north east). With no cover (mostly full sun, some shade) and no swimmers, no covers, I lose 3.5-4.5 FC. With swimmers I can lose 5.5, easy. With you being in TX, full sun, I can see 5.5. We are early June. I have seen heavy days in July/Aug. Some may just be Tree vs. Sun configuration.

Las Vegas high desert is not Texas. But my pool gets no shade, full sun all day everyday. Single story homes development. No mature trees, 4 year old development. I have an auto-cover and a swg. With the auto-cover, the swg is set at 25% which will dose 2.4 FC over 24 hours. I open the cover every day for 4 - 6 hours, except for windy days. Which are all too often so far this year.

I run my FC a little hot, meaning, I try to keep it at 8 ppm. With CYA at 60 because I have an auto-cover.

I have no idea what the underside of my cover looks like, but if it was algae laden I could not set my swg as low as it is.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.