Going on vacation for 9 days what do I do?

mihzyd777

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2009
Manteca, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,

As some of you may know I have a new quartz finished pool that has been filled up for about 4-5 weeks now. All chemicals are balanced out pH, and chlorine are 7.5 & 3ppm.
We leave for vacation tomorrow for 9 days. I take care of the pool myself and so I have nobody else who can check it while I'm gone. My pool has a SWG. Is there something I can do such as lower my PH and turn my SWG up to 50 while I'm gone to be sure all stays OK?
My pool builder said to drop my PH to 7.2 and turn my SWG up to 50% I'm in central California and luckily the weather will be mild while we are gone like mid 80's only getting to 91 the last 2 days before we return.
Any advice? Thank you!

What is your CYA? Filling out your Poolmath logs really helps us, if at all possible.

Do not worry about it, drop your PH to 7 and add 10 or 20% to your SWG.. I have left a month and left my SWG the same exact setting but it was in the summer and I run my FC above 7 at all times.. :)

What is your CYA? Filling out your Poolmath logs really helps us, if at all possible.

My CYA is 60. I know really trying to start using Pool Math religiously. Ph 7.6, FC 2ppm, SWG set at 40%

Do not worry about it, drop your PH to 7 and add 10 or 20% to your SWG.. I have left a month and left my SWG the same exact setting but it was in the summer and I run my FC above 7 at all times.. :)
Ya I just added salt to our new pool and so really not 100% dialed in yet. Wish I was before I left because it would be much easier.

Get that FC up to 6 or 7ppm before you leave with liquid chlorine and then bump up the SWG 20% or so and you shouldn't have too many problems. Like others have said, drop pH to 7.0 as well because it will surely climb in the 9 weeks you are gone. Any chance you can have a friend drop by every 2 or 3 weeks and add some muriatic acid? That would ensure your pH isn't sky high when you get back.

Reactions: mguzzy
Get that FC up to 6 or 7ppm before you leave with liquid chlorine and then bump up the SWG 20% or so and you shouldn't have too many problems. Like others have said, drop pH to 7.0 as well because it will surely climb in the 9 weeks you are gone. Any chance you can have a friend drop by every 2 or 3 weeks and add some muriatic acid? That would ensure your pH isn't sky high when you get back.
I'll only be gone 9 days not 9 weeks lol. I might ask my neighbor to check on it.

What @DeanP66 said... but what % are you running your SWG at now? I would turn it up, not because the temp will get hotter but because the sun will be higher in the sky.
Right now it's running at 40% but I need to add 1 more bag of Salt since I'm only at 3200ppm before I go and then it should work more efficiently I would imagine.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Right now it's running at 40% but I need to add 1 more bag of Salt since I'm only at 3200ppm before I go and then it should work more efficiently I would imagine
It shouldn’t matter. If the salt level gets too low the unit just shuts itself off. For example, with the +/- 200 variance of the K-1766 you could actually be at 3400 for the salt. If that reading came from the unit which is off even more, you could be at actually 3600 and have zero need whatsoever for more salt. If the unit is happy, you are happy. That’s all that matters. My IC60 worked awesome down to about 2800.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When we travel for a week or more in the summer, I put one or two trichlor pucks in a floater. This will add some additional FC over the SWCG, keep the pH down, and add a touch of CYA which in our climate is consumed a bit quicker in the summer. Manteca has not as extreme summer conditions as my area, but close.

Right now it's running at 40% but I need to add 1 more bag of Salt since I'm only at 3200ppm before I go and then it should work more efficiently I would imagine.
The cell won't run more efficiently with more salt .. it runs or it doesn't run. I produces the same amount to chlorine with a salinity that is High or low.. its just needs to be in the range. In fact some cell controllers like a lower salinity, its better for the electronics. This is typical with Hayward controllers.. You don't list your SWG type in your sig, so I'm not sure. There is no rain in the forecast so If your SWG is producing I would save that bag for later. And bump the output to 50%. I like Marty's suggestion.. but I see by your MathLogs that you just added some MA.. that will do to.

Manteca has not as extreme summer conditions as my area, but close.
Hey.. they don't call it the City of Lard for nuthin'

Reactions: mihzyd777
Ok I'm back. PH was 8.2. I LOWERED it to 7.0 right before I left. Came home a day early yesterday and tested it. What am I missing how did it rise so fast? Is it simply because the plaster is only 2 months or so old? Thanks!

I am going on a dive vacation in 3 weeks and just had my pool replastered with pebble seeing the same active PH increase. So really interested if you used pucks?

pH rise with new plaster is quite quick.
Did you add a few pucks in a floating dispenser?
No I have no pucks to add, just using swg and if need I have liquid chlorine 10% I add. So for instance pH was 7.4 yesterday morning. This morning already at 8.0+ so that is normal....just want to be sure.

Reactions: ArsenalFan
Well just returned from a 16-day dive vacation and the pool is clear and everything except the PH(8.0) is where I like it - Thank you TFP. My sister-in-law her husband and 2 German Shepards stayed for a week but they left dog hair all over the place. including the pool They did add a gal of acid after staying a week so that did help as well as our son coming by to add another gallon 6 days later. One of the best suggestions early on from this site was to get an SWG and that made this vacation doable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.