Going it alone. Need help.

PH= 8.2 (put in pool math m acid and in an hour it had gone down to 7.2.)
FC= 1
CC= 0.5
TA= 75
CYA 38

So then put in pool math 5.25% chlorine. Tested an hour later and FC was 22, way above the 15 level I was aiming at.
Tested after three hours and the FC is still at 21.

What am I doing wrong?

PH= 8.2 (put in pool math m acid and in an hour it had gone down to 7.2.)
FC= 1
CC= 0.5
TA= 75
CYA 38

So then put in pool math 5.25% chlorine. Tested an hour later and FC was 22, way above the 15 level I was aiming at.
Tested after three hours and the FC is still at 21.

What am I doing wrong?
If FC jumped that high, it means that either a) your pool is not as big as you think or b) the chlorine is stronger than you think. Is 5.25% what they sell where you live? In the US, Chlorox is 8.25%. The difference in strength would account for FC target of 12 or so becoming 21.

it says 5.25% on the bottle and comes from US I think.
What do I do now I have put too much in?

- - - Updated - - -

Think I am close with pool volume although evaporation has reduced depth by an inch or so over the last week since I put water into it.

This morning pool looks a lot better. First I scrubbed it then took following readings
PH 8.2+
FC 20
CC 0.5-1 (2 drops)

I have cleaned the filter and put muriatic acid in again to reduce PH and will scrub again and test again this afternoon.
But FC is only a little down which indicates no algae left to eat it?

- - - Updated - - -

How can the PH risen so much?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not test pH again until you finish SLAM. It will read too high when your FC is high. (above 10 ppm)

Your CC's result indicates you have not finished the SLAM. Are you following the SLAM procedure exactly as it is written in Pool School?

Well, yeah, but technically going up is impossible ... unless you have tablets or SWG or something adding chlorine which invalidates the OCLT.
I would do the OCLT again ... and make sure the readings are done with no sunlight.

Also how did you get a CC or 0.25?

It sounds like you are done, just want to be sure.

I think FC 15 this morning v 14 last night is due to reading error.
Re CC of 0.25: at first it looked clear but then I saw a slight red tinge and added one drop. I think half a drop would have worked too.
Just tested at 4:40 pm and have
FC 9.5
CC 0.25 again

- - - Updated - - -

Will do OCLT test this evening and early tomorrow.

My understanding of the drop tests is to count your drops until the last one results in no additional color change then subtract that last drop in your count. That is how I count.

Someone please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.