Going from 27' to 24' pool - deck questions!

Aug 12, 2018
lockport, ny
We just bought a house where the homeowner was too lazy to correct green water so they took down the 27' pool they had! It still has a composite deck attached to the house that I thin k covered about 5 posts of the 27' pool.
Think I will have much trouble fitting a 24' pool up to that deck? Really don't want a 27' one.

You need to find out the exact measurements of the pool you’re looking at & lay it out. May need to add something to shore the deck up.

To be honest 24’ round vs 27’ round is not that big of a difference maintenance wise if that’s part of your concern. You just have more room to play/float.
Making the jump to 33’ is however. The pool pole doesn’t reach all the places so vacuuming & scooping can be arduous vs a 27’ or smaller.
Staying with a 27’ may be a little more expensive for the pool itself but you won’t have the cost of reworking the deck either. Composite ain’t cheap!
Exact above ground pool replacements are always cheaper & easier than changing sizes. The base is pretty much good to go etc. Once you start changing sizes it can get more pricey.
Be sure you also get the correct wall height so it lines up with the deck like you want.
Our local mom & pop pool place warned me about going bigger than 27’ but the other place that i ended up going with was way cheaper and only had 33’s in stock so that’s what i got.
I really wanted a 27’ - the 24’s are a bit tight when kids are playing and such from my experience. A couple of friends have them.

Keep in mind that even if you match the pool size, things may not line up quite right. I have that issue right now. My new 27' does not slot into the deck my old 27' was in quite right. My deck goes around about 40% of my pool. Part of that is because the new pool has a higher wall, but part of it is also pools have different leg sizes and configurations, and it is a lot easier to build a deck up to an existing pool, then to try to build a new pool tight to an existing deck.

It is very likely that if you need modifications made to the deck, that your pool builder will not do it (or at least won't do it well). They are pool installers, not carpenters. When my installer looked at my existing deck he said "we will cut if we have to, but we don't cut pretty". I was fine with that because I had some plans in mind to change how the deck met the pool anyway.

Still, I would go with the same size that was there. Composite flexes more than wood, so it is harder to extend it to the edge of a smaller pool without support.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Most pools nowadays have a manual online often with dimensions of parts. It would certainly be worth looking up to compare.

I believe they mentioned the previous owners are the ones who took it down so that may be a no go unless they find some old paperwork or something.
If they pop off the top cap, the part that covers the gap of the top rail, they may have a name and part number or just the part number which if they google will come up with info.

If they pop off the top cap, the part that covers the gap of the top rail, they may have a name and part number or just the part number which if they google will come up with info.
They don’t have it anymore I don’t think.
Just a circle & a deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.