going away for 6.5 weeks, should I close the pool and reopen it or get somebody to keep it running?

rd3500

Bronze Supporter
Sep 28, 2021
Las Vegas
hi guys,

in a few weeks I will leave for almost 7 weeks and I am wondering if should just leave the pool get green and then change water when I am back.

Let me explain: last year I did the same thing and I hired a teenager to clean the pump filter and skimmer every few days. I have a SWG and I lower the PH to 7.2 before leaving so chemically the pool was going to be ok.

However, I don't know what happened but basically the pump did not prime at some point and when I got back the pool was green. The kid did not notice anything because the pool was covered and honestly I did not consider the possibility that the pump would not prime so I did not prepare him for that possibility.

It was shocking to see the pool green when I got back but in just a few days I drained it, refilled it and got it cleaned up with not that much effort. I posted a thread here to get advice and it was all good in the end.

Sooo, I am thinking if it is is a good idea to just turn off the pump and maybe draing the pool some before leaving and then fill it back up when I am back. Most of the water needs to be changed because of the calcium anyway and I would not need to look for somebody and then check on them regularly while I am away.

What do you guys think?

How do you cover? You may get a code enforcement citation if the pool is green for too long.

I'd say just talk through a few more details with the person in charge this time. Check and empty skimmer, check pump. If pump fails, turn off, contact you, decide if you can talk them through how to fix the problem, or just turn everything off. Then you can still deal with a green pool when you come home, but then it's at least plan B, not plan A.

Have a communication channel setup before leaving that allows video calls, makes trouble shooting much easier.

Reactions: kylepoolstylin
Leave 2 or 3 cases (8 - 12 gallons) of 10% liquid chlorine in the garage as insurance.

If the pump fails then instruct the pool boy to open the cover, pour 1/4 gallon into the pool every 3 days, mix the water around with a pool brush, and close the cover.

32 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine should put 2.8ppm into your 9000 gallon pool.

What is your normal daily or weekly FC loss with your cover closed?

I know someone here in AU that turns his pool off and covers it for several months through summer while they spend the northern winter skiing. If you add a tarp or cover that blocks the light no algae will grow. Bring it up to slam level before you uncover it and turn it back on.

I left my pool for just over 2 months last summer. The auto leveler and SWG on the regular timer took care of it all. Our house sitter scooped out some leaves etc as required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your daily FC loss will increase at temps increase and sun angle changes.
Plan on losing more than 2 ppm FC per day in your absence.

Not sure if leaving the solar cover on or off is the better option. I'm leaning toward the cover off. Easier for you to see pool condition on your camera and easier for whomever you have stopping by to check on it, do FC/pH tests and empty the skimmer basket.

If you can find a trusted individual to check your pool, have them test for FC and pH. The FC should remain pretty stable or increase slightly in your absence. The pH may need to be adjusted weekly. The goal would be to have FC be near the high side of target for your CYA and pH to remain in the 7's.

Reactions: rd3500