Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm trying to replace a Globrite bulb that burned out. I can unscrew the old bulb easily, but once out, I can't pull the bulb out any further than a couple of inches. I pulled as hard as I can, but it doesn't budge. There is plenty of slack on the other end.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

You replace the entire system. That includes the wire back to the J box. Do you have the wire disconnected from the J box and a pull line attached to it?

Do you have a pull line securely attached to the wire at the J box end? You then pull the light out from the pool side feeding the pull line in. Or you can cut off the light fixture, attach a pull line at that end, and pull the wire out from the J box end.

If the wire is stuck, you can try some line lubricants. Or Dawn dishwashing soap.

Reactions: bradgray
Do you have a pull line securely attached to the wire at the J box end? You then pull the light out from the pool side feeding the pull line in. Or you can cut off the light fixture, attach a pull line at that end, and pull the wire out from the J box end.

If the wire is stuck, you can try some line lubricants. Or Dawn dishwashing soap.
Here’s what I did. Figured out which of the 4 lights was the one that was out. Unhooked the two wires from the J box and attached a pull line to that end. Then I used the removal tool and unscrewed the bulb. There was enough slack for the light to come out 5 inches or so. I then pulled on the wire like my life depended on it. It doesn’t budge.

Where should I put the lubricant? In the hole the light was in (it’s in my spa, so I drained it), or on the J box side?

First try working the wire each way. The light is not screwed in, it has a one quarter turn to unlatch.
I tried pulling from the J box, it still doesn't budge. Of all the things that could have gone wrong when I tried to replace it, I never expected it to be stuck like this.

Am I missing something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure to note Marty's advice to tie a line to the end at the jbox. Once you get it pulled into the pool, you'll loose that end forever and you want to be able to get it back so you can reverse pull and use your old globrite cord as a splice/fish to route the new one.

I have found that during installation some crews do the horrible act of running the wire through unglued conduit pieces and then glue them with the wire inside instead of completing the run and using a fish tape or string. This leads to the wire being glued inside of the conduit. I ran into this last spring when a Hayward Colorlogic went out and I had to replace it. I had to cut the wire and just leave it in there and fish a new string to pull. Don’t know why they did that?? Maybe they didn’t have a fish tape or string and vacuum?