Glass tiles vs ceramics? Please help.

shlomikalfa

Jun 1, 2022
Israel
I've got a DIY concrete pool that I've built and I've used epoxy + polyurethane to paint it for the past two years... It all falls apart and now I want to scrape the whole painting and put some tiles... The pool is with chlorine and heated up to 38 deg c - 100f deg, but mostly kept around 35c/95f. Family pool with a SPA area, kids are also using it. Depth is 160cm to 40cm depends on the side.
I want to use mosaic tiles, should I use glass or ceramics?
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• pool-destroyed01.jpeg
    pool-destroyed01.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Pool-ready.jpg
    Pool-ready.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 25
Either glass or ceramic tiles will work. They should be rated by the manufacturer for submersion.

Here is the current recommended glass tile installation process from Oceanside Glass & Tile...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...l-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf?v=1625588595

View attachment 555220
1626430671428-png.355575
full
full

@ajw22 hi, I've understood that glass tiles break more easily and tend to wound swimmers more... Is there much to it?
I've tried reading articles all over google and couldn't find many non biased ones so I came here🤗

We don't hear about many tiled pools here. And I see few pools tiled with glass tiles since they cost more then ceramic tiles.

What can break a glass tile that is underwater?

A glass tile that is properly set in thinset and has grout around it will not shatter and "wound" a person.

I don't understand where those situations can occur.

This is not exactly in my wheelhouse but here are a few resources: