Glass Tile on Entire Pool. Thoughts Please???

ssml11

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2014
Miami/Florida
New build going on right now at my house. I’ll be ready for finish in two weeks. I am considering seriously tiling 100% of pool instead of more common alternative finishes.

Pebble/River Rock ruled out after I tried a friends pool with this finish and it seemed to harsh and rough for my taste. My last pool had Diamond Brite Tahoe Blue, but my wife complained that the color looked “too fake”. On this build I was sure I would go with Diamond Brite Super Blue, as this is a lighter blue version to the Tahoe Blue and also smoother that pebble.

Then recently I visited south France and bathe in a glass tiled pool. It was love at first sight. Gorgeous color, elegant, very smooth to the touch...So I called around local tile finish contractors and although the price is well over double that of Diamond Brite ($11k vs 4k), I am seriously leaning to the tile route.

My concern is that for some reason here in the forum, in the states, and certainly in South Florida as well, there seems to be slim next to nobody doing 100% tiled pools. Am I missing some big disadvantage to tiling pools? Besides cost).

I love the look and feel of fully tiled pools. What we don’t see in a nice resort pool is the maintenance required. Tiles coming loose and grout needing to be maintained.

I think the right installation materials need to be used with a waterproof bonding coat, and epoxy grout. Plaster goes over rough gunite. I am not sure how gunite needs to be prepared for tile. Make sure your pricing includes the right prep and materials.

@bdavis466 may have some thoughts.

Waterproofing is key as well as high quality thinset and Tile. Epoxy grout is a must.

Check out Jimmy Reed of Rock Solid Tile www.rocksolidtile.com. He is widely considered the best in the industry. Alpen Tile is another respected company http://www.alpentile.com/glass-tile-swimming-pools-and-interiors-by-alpentile/

The reason you don't see more tiled pools here is because it's expensive. I'd imagine the tile jobs alone on those pools start at 100k.

If you are getting tile quotes for 11K and your pool is any bigger than a standard spa, you need to find a new contractor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.