Glass tile on baja shelf/tanning ledge?

NOLA_Pool

Jul 11, 2023
New Orleans
We are likely going with the Wet Edge Prism matrix to resurface our pool. We are also adding a tanning edge, but because my kids scoot aorund on their knees on tanning ledges, I don't want to use an aggregate finish on the tanning ledge. The PB said he could do Primera Stone just on the ledge, but I am leaning towards using 1x1 glass tiles for aesthetics, but I am concerned about it being a slip hazard for older grandparents.

Aquablu Mosaics sells an antilsip line of glass tiles by Vidrepur that I am considering. Has anyone used these on a tanning shelf or spa and can comment on their slipperiness?

As a point of reference, I installed Primera Stone across the whole pool and spa. Based on the advice of the plaster company, I did not install any toe/edge tiles on the steps. There is a balance of not having them to see the step vs having them and slipping. I also think the installation of Primera Stone is more difficult if they have these toe tiles.

We did prism with glass toe tile. We just happened to chose a glass tile with texture. I think that helps the slipperiness vs a smooth tile. Because of an issue with the install of the toe tile on one small step they came back (pre-plaster) and we asked to have the entire step tiled with glass. The tiler warned against it being too slippery and then he pointed out to us we did not have enough glass leftover to get it fully tiled, so we ended up tiling about half of it. Is it more slippery than pebble? Absolutely. Has anyone slipped? No, but it is only a partial step however it still feels pretty sturdy--but I know that doesn't compare to an entire shelf.

Edit: attaching a link from the wetedge testimonials page that has a pic of a primera pool with toe tile. I think it’s doable but I can see how it could cause install issues.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.