Gladstone, MO - A pool history

Jun 21, 2017
Gladstone
So I want to start timeline for the pool at the house. So I thought this would be a good place (moderator's if not please move it - I'll find it).

The intent to to show where I was, track where I am, what I have done, the repercussions and the rewards. The plan is to tender to the TFPC process - now that I have made the typical mistakes made by pool illiterate owners. In my introduction I covered the backstory - a bit, but a review (with pictures) seems appropriate.

> Took possession of short-sale house in Feb 2017 (sellers accepted our offer in May 2016 - took sellers bank 9 months to get their act together, which is a whole different discussion and exercise in the limitation of human patience)
> Nothing useful was disclosed about the pool other than "it was working fine when we left" - it was obvious that was likely not the case, sand filter had at least a 13" crack down the side, pool heater lines were "crushed", vinyl liner had pulled from bead in a couple of location.
> Neighbors indicated that pool was not maintained for at least 28 months
> A couple of phone calls to "Pool Professionals" - lead me to the first of many feelings of "this doesn't seem quite right" - the instruction was drain the pool, clean it out and call us.
> Pool was drained; 4+ inches of leaves, twigs, old plastic pool toys, a lounge chair - I stopped counting at 80 leopard frogs (which have an extremely annoying vocalization), who knows what other organisms where present --- all were removed.
> Liner, steps, drains and skimmer where all power washed and the pool was clean
> Pressure test was performed on the Skimmer, Main Drain and Return Lines
> Vendor was selected and a new vinyl liner, new pump, new cartridge filter and a new SWCG was installed. Pool was filled and salted on Monday, June 19 - 2017

Some photos
August - 2016 (house visit)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=OEJESjl4WFJTbEJxcGdJZnVFQUI0OVZBa2xrc05n

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=OEJESjl4WFJTbEJxcGdJZnVFQUI0OVZBa2xrc05n

From these photo's it wasn't "green" but a murky black, the Harbor Freight "pool cover" was a perfect lily pad for my frog farm!

June - 2017 (liner installation - fill has began)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7yKqOs1F6HYVh4bXRVWTZtZGc/view?usp=sharing

June 18th - the pool was totally filled
June 19th - equipment was installed and initial salt and chemical bomb (done by "pool professionals") was dosed. Pool robot was ordered and Taylor test kits were ordered (all arriving tonight June 23rd.)
June 20th - 23rd - debris (mostly tree litter) from pool surface and floor was removed no less than twice a day with leaf net. Skimmer baskets were emptied once per day, pump basket has been cleaned.

Wow quite a transformation! Usually things like pools especially on a short-sale are sold "as-is" with no specific declaration of condition.

Pool testing results from Local Pool Supply

FC - 0.0ppm
PH - 7.7
TA - 170
CH - 125
CYA - 0.0
Salt - 5130

So in short they said the following
- "Never seen salt levels this high"
- Add chlorine to pool - via Shock treatment
- Retest the TA when the Chlorine and CYA levels were within range
- Add "stablizer" through the skimmer
- Turn SWG up to at least 80 - 90%

So I added to bags of the following, as per the directions 2oz/1000 gallons (so 2 bags total)

Shock Treatment

I added about 1/2 bucket of the following (approx 4 lbs).

Stablizer Product

Obviously not what is listed in the TFP method, but it is what the pool repair folks left behind. Hopefully the Taylor test kit will arrive tomorrow and I can get my own results.

> Set SWG to "SuperChlor" mode and put setting on 90%.
> Leaf raked surface
> Cleaned skimmer baskets
> Run Dolphin Oasis Z5 through pool - 3 hour cycle.

FC - 10.0ppm
PH - 7.8
TA - 180
CH - 110
CYA - 70
Salt - 4800

Chlorine High: Adjust SWG down to 60%, will monitor

ph High: Added 48 oz. of dry acid to bring pH down (per pool math recommended 56oz. went light as that is what I had on hand)

No other adjustments made

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.