Glad to find this, new in ground pool in sunny TX

tomppa

Sep 13, 2023
San Antonio
18,000 gal pool with built in spa constructed by cody pools. Finished construction Aug '22 and I've been handling maintenance and things have been going surprisingly smoothly. A couple questions that have come up:

CYA is creeping up. Currently over 100ppm but less than 150. Drained a decent amount of water and refilled with hose but looking for guidance on how much more I should I do. Should I switch away from the chlorine tabs for a bit?

Pool brushing... how important is that and what happens if you don't brush? We have the small pebble material.

Welcome to TFP, @tomppa ! Glad you've found us!

CYA will always creep up if you continue to use tabs. They are not recommended as part of the TFP methodology, and it is strongly suggested that you move to either using liquid chlorine, or even better, a salt water chlorine generator. There is no way to maintain long-term water chemistry using tabs without draining, as you've quickly found out. It's even worse in Texas where the heat and UV pummels your chlorine daily. You really need to get the CYA at 70 or below to be manageable and switch to LC in the meantime. See FC/CYA Levels. While you're there, check out the Pool Care Basics as well to get an overview of our minimalist pool care methodology.

How are you testing today?

Welcome to TFP, @tomppa ! Glad you've found us!

CYA will always creep up if you continue to use tabs. They are not recommended as part of the TFP methodology, and it is strongly suggested that you move to either using liquid chlorine, or even better, a salt water chlorine generator. There is no way to maintain long-term water chemistry using tabs without draining, as you've quickly found out. It's even worse in Texas where the heat and UV pummels your chlorine daily. You really need to get the CYA at 70 or below to be manageable and switch to LC in the meantime. See FC/CYA Levels. While you're there, check out the Pool Care Basics as well to get an overview of our minimalist pool care methodology.

How are you testing today?
Thanks so much! I added about 64 oz of liquid chlorine yesterday and chlorine level today is 2-3ppm. I had added a few tabs last week, which had been part of my weekly routine but I think those have fully dissolved and will not be using them further. CYA is still hovering near 150ppm so will do some more draining today and over the next few days to try to get it closer to 70. I'm happy to give the minimalist pool methodology a go and will read those articles. Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
No problem! I also don't want you to waste a lot of water and money draining more than you have to, so that's why I'm trying to clarify exactly which test kit you have. Pentair does sell a test kit (78DPD/R151248) that tests for CYA, but it's not one of our recommended models. Is the CYA reading from a pool store test? Something that high would require dilution to read with most test kits.

To maintain consistency with testing and our advice and methods, one of the recommended test kits is required. Either a Taylor K-2006C or a TFTestKits.net TF-100/TF Pro. The TFTestKits.net models are a better deal for the amount of reagents you get, but both use the same high quality Taylor components.

No problem! I also don't want you to waste a lot of water and money draining more than you have to, so that's why I'm trying to clarify exactly which test kit you have. Pentair does sell a test kit (78DPD/R151248) that tests for CYA, but it's not one of our recommended models. Is the CYA reading from a pool store test? Something that high would require dilution to read with most test kits.

To maintain consistency with testing and our advice and methods, one of the recommended test kits is required. Either a Taylor K-2006C or a TFTestKits.net TF-100/TF Pro. The TFTestKits.net models are a better deal for the amount of reagents you get, but both use the same high quality Taylor components.
Thanks, I ordered the TF Pro. Have been using the Leslie's 5-1 in test strips. Will hold off on any further draining until after the new kit arrives.

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
Thanks, I ordered the TF Pro. Have been using the Leslie's 5-1 in test strips. Will hold off on any further draining until after the new kit arrives.
Be sure to update your signature with your new test kit info and delete the other kit.

Reactions: tomppa
Excellent! We'll get things squared away when you get the kit.

There's a reason we call them "guess strips"; hopefully your CYA isn't nearly as high as the strips are indicating.

TF Pro kit arrived and did the ph, chlorine, and CYA tests. Not looking great. PH is high above 8.2, chlorine is low around 0.5 and CYA is definitely near 100 or more. Will stop by the pool store to get some liquid chlorine and muriatic acid in the morning. Looks like I have some more draining to do as well for the CYA issue.

TF Pro kit arrived and did the ph, chlorine, and CYA tests. Not looking great. PH is high above 8.2, chlorine is low around 0.5 and CYA is definitely near 100 or more. Will stop by the pool store to get some liquid chlorine and muriatic acid in the morning. Looks like I have some more draining to do as well for the CYA issue.
Glad you got your test kit. We are lucky to be in an area with lots of options for chemicals and many of us never need to step foot in a pool store. I get most of my chemicals at Walmart, with the exception of MA which I go to for Lowes or Home Depot. Note that Lowes and Home Depot also have liquid chlorine and everything else for pools, I just like Walmart's liquid chlorine as it is usually cheaper and fresher.

Glad you got your test kit. We are lucky to be in an area with lots of options for chemicals and many of us never need to step foot in a pool store. I get most of my chemicals at Walmart, with the exception of MA which I go to for Lowes or Home Depot. Note that Lowes and Home Depot also have liquid chlorine and everything else for pools, I just like Walmart's liquid chlorine as it is usually cheaper and fresher.
Great suggestion! Thank you. I would definitely have gone to Leslie's again but will head to Home Depot and Walmart instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.