Glad to be here! I have some pesky CC in my hot tub

KayBee39000

Jul 11, 2023
Carmel, Indiana
I am from central Indiana and I just bought a hot tub and the water clouded up after a few days. High alkalinity, hardness and pH - it took me a bit to find my way to lower the alkalinity to around 50, add some borax and I now have stable pH. Turns out the groundwater here is about ~350 ppm for both hardness and alkalinity. I'm glad that is solved and I know my way around for next time I fill.

However, my combined chlorine is stubborn at 0.6ppm. I raised the FC to 15 yesterday, confirmed with my Taylor test kit. Today the FC is at 5 and CC is still at somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 (I used a 10 ml sample). I suppose I just will raise the FC again and see if the CC budges. I have some Ahhh Some on order, along with borate test strips, and an extra set of filters. How high should I be raising my FC? Do I repeat this procedure until I see some movement?

ph 7.4, FC 5.0, CC ~0.6, CH 200, CYA 30. Ozonator is running.

Keep your FC well in the target zone for your CYA, FC/CYA Levels
CCs are an issue in a covered spa and opening the cover during the day will help lower the CCs but it is a small body of high temp water so proper sanitation is a bit more intense than a pool. Smart to get the AhhhSome as purging the plumbing is always a good idea on a new spa and its good maintenance before each drain and refill. Changing out with your extra filter a least once a month or more often with heavy use helps. Clean the dirty filter with AhhSome and FC and rotate. Your tub is a good size but don't wait too long to purge, drain and refill as contaminants build up. Regarding your ozone device you will get mixed opinions on that, I have no experience. Happy soaking.

Keep your FC well in the target zone for your CYA, FC/CYA Levels
CCs are an issue in a covered spa and opening the cover during the day will help lower the CCs but it is a small body of high temp water so proper sanitation is a bit more intense than a pool. Smart to get the AhhhSome as purging the plumbing is always a good idea on a new spa and its good maintenance before each drain and refill. Changing out with your extra filter a least once a month or more often with heavy use helps. Clean the dirty filter with AhhSome and FC and rotate. Your tub is a good size but don't wait too long to purge, drain and refill as contaminants build up. Regarding your ozone device you will get mixed opinions on that, I have no experience. Happy soaking.
Thank you! The hot tub is right under a linden tree, and it’s dropping so much detritus right now. I will experiment!

Thank you! The hot tub is right under a linden tree, and it’s dropping so much detritus right now. I will experiment!
Not worth leaving the lid off if it fills up with organic debris. We have the same issue only with a giant Cherry Laurel.
We keep a small hand colander close by to fish out the plant debris when soaking. :rant: